Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nervous about nursing again.....

Default Nervous about nursing again.....

I've attempted to breastfeed my last 2 children and am pregnant again. I always ended up supplementing because I didn't produce enough milk, which was frustrating. I was never quite sure why my milk production would come to a halt. Besides LLL, who else can I can consult with regarding this issue? (ex. Pediatrician, OB, family physician?)

Default Re: Nervous about nursing again.....

http://gotwww.net/ilca/
    heres were to find a certified Lactation Consultant they charge and some take insurance.
    Most problems with moms supply come from mismanagment of breastfeeding.
    You should check out lll meetings. DO you have a copy of the womanly art of breastfeeding? Thats a great place to start.
    It talks about newborn nursing habbits, and how to get a good start with breastfeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio
    http://gotwww.net/ilca/
    heres were to find a certified Lactation Consultant they charge and some take insurance.
    Most problems with moms supply come from mismanagment of breastfeeding.
    You should check out lll meetings. DO you have a copy of the womanly art of breastfeeding? Thats a great place to start.
    It talks about newborn nursing habbits, and how to get a good start with breastfeeding.
    What do you mean mismanagment of breastfeeding? Im have a few problems and just wandered.

What do you mean mismanagment of breastfeeding? Im have a few problems and just wandered.
    A lot of mom get a bad start with breast feeding, most of the time is not even their fault, usually a bad advise from the hospital staff, the pediatrician or someone in the family that they trust. Some examples are when the mother is having problems with latching on instead of helping they tell her to use formula because their nipples are too big for BF or some other excuses not to help or a very common one is that the milk haven't come in yet so you need to use formula when the milk isn't supposed to come in until like the fourth or fifth day, the first few days they're suppose to get the colostrum. From a pediatrician, some common ones are that the baby isn't fat enough or that your milk isn't nutritious, or the baby is allergic to your milk all them with out any solid prove. From family it's he shouldn't be eating so often, you don't have enough, he's starving, your milk is watery, they would sleep better with formula etc. Milk production is a demand and supply thing, if you supplement with formula, water or something else you'll sending signal to your body that it need to cut on the supply and then you might end-up with supply issues having to supplement more and eventually making your supply drop very low. That's were mismanagement comes to play. As sad as it is a lot of pediatricians don't know much about human lactation and often give bad advises, plus there are some that don't feel up to help the mom and will tell you anything they can to make you stop BF.

Another things that may lead to a low supply is trying to space out or schedule feedings.

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia
    Mismanagement means you supplement with formula especially in the 1st weeks when it's most difficult because your baby is sucking non-stop trying to get your body to produce what he/she needs and it's physically exhausting and you don't feel like doing it around the clock or you think that the fact that he/she is sucking non-stop is a sign that your not producing enough and you supplement. But Breastfeeding is a supply and demand thing. So as soon as you start to suppplement your body starts producing less.

It's very important to be committed to "pushing through" before you get started. And to find good educated support to help you do that. Because if you're committed and are firm with your desires in the beginning they are more likely to be respected. (E.G. you want your baby to room with you at the hospital, you are FIRM about no formula and no pacifiers while there ect.) Unfortunately none of the places you listed are likely good places to find that info. We see examples of misinformed Pediatricians, unconcerned/unsupportive
    OB/GYN and clueless family doctors here daily. But we also know that a lot of women give up because they are misinformed or didn't get the support they needed in the very beginning when it can be the roughest.

The good news is you found us before you had the baby! So you have time to do some research ahead of time and make a truly informed decision. I think there's some stigma around LLL if you aren't really informed. Like they are some sort of cult. But again that comes from misinformation. Really they are Mothers who support other Mothers through to do what we are supposed to do to feed our children. They deal in facts. What's best for our babies. Period. But a lot of people don't want to hear that. You'll find support and information surrounding breastfeeding here and at a meeting in all it's forms. Exclusive or supplemented. For 3 months or three years. So welcome! I hope we can help and that you find other info on this site helpful. I know I have.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! It can be very frustrating when breastfeeding fails despite all efforts and good intentions. Good for you for wanting to try again even with some previous bad experiences. It is wise to look for information and support before the baby is born, so you've already taken a great step to improve your chances of being successful this time around. In addition to La Leche League, the best source of information/help with breastfeeding is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). A PP listed a link to find one in your area. IBCLC's have extensive training specific to breastfeeding, and are generally much more knowledgable than other health care professionals. Some IBCLC's offer breastfeeding classes that you can take while pregnant. Some also lead support groups (similar to LLL meetings). I'd also recommend doing some reading prior to the birth of the baby. Some good breastfeeding books include The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (LLL publication), The Breastfeeding Book (part of the Sears series), and The Nursing Mother's Companion (Kathleen Huggins). Some other posters may have additional titles to suggest. On the web, the LLL website provides excellent information, as does a site called kellymom (www.kellymom.com). Best wishes for your pregnancy and birth, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

Good for you for persevering about the breastfeeding information! Like several posters said, most of the time breastfeeding problems are due to "mismanagement". Learning ahead of time what is normal, and where to go for competent help if you need it will take care of most problems. Unfortunately most pediatricians are not the ones to ask....they might be terrific doctors, but most only get a few hours of lactation training in their 8+ years of school. Sometimes you have to go to the ped for doctor things, but get your parenting and breastfeeding information somewhere else. You can certainly ask your doctors about breastfeeding, but don't ask if they think it's a good idea-- of course they do! Ask how long she nursed her own kids or how long his wife nursed their kids... if the answer is "not at all" or for just a few months, then consider going elsewhere for your breastfeeding info.

I also encourage you to attend LLL meetings if there are any reasonably near you. I have always figured that if you want to learn to do something, then hang out with people who are successful at what you want to do. You'll have a knowlegeable cheering squad from the other moms at the meeting, and the Leaders are there to support you with your breastfeeding goals; however much or long you want to nurse.

Good Luck!
    Dawn