Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: liquids, whole milk, etc. at 1

Default liquids, whole milk, etc. at 1

i feel like i have a bunch of questions so this post my be jumbled.

basically our LO is almost 1, and when i am gone at work he doesn't drink much from the bottle at all, and when we pour it in a cup he won't take it either. he will drink other things like water and watered-down juice, but only a few ounces.

but when i get home he nurses for a long long time and he also nurses at night.

my question, i guess, is, how much should he be drinking during the day (from approximately 9-5) and what should he be drinking? is it okay if he only drinks a little bit of breastmilk but drinks other liquids? also, if other liquids, just water and juice? does anyone supplement with formula (does he need it?) or whole milk when they are 1? is it ok to introduce whole milk or soy milk when you are still breastfeeding? how does that work?

i am really confused because i know he needs liquids during the day, but i'm not sure if he needs breastmilk specifically because he nurses when i'm home.

i am also asking because i am just wondering how it all works when we do wean. what if he still drinks only an itty bit from the bottle or cup. ?? or will they naturally drink more on their own when you start to wean?

sorry for all the questions! and thanks in advance for any advice!!

Default Re: liquids, whole milk, etc. at 1

my question, i guess, is, how much should he be drinking during the day (from approximately 9-5) and what should he be drinking? is it okay if he only drinks a little bit of breastmilk but drinks other liquids? also, if other liquids, just water and juice?

I'm not a nutitionist (nor do I play one on the internet), so I'm unsure of the total number of ounces your baby needs while you're at work. Water is a good drink choice (always). If you do juice, watered down is usually the recommendation. I do know that it's totally fine that most of the breastmilk intake is after you come home from work.

does anyone supplement with formula (does he need it?) or whole milk when they are 1? is it ok to introduce whole milk or soy milk when you are still breastfeeding? how does that work?

No need for formula. Here's a great resource regarding milk:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

i am really confused because i know he needs liquids during the day, but i'm not sure if he needs breastmilk specifically because he nurses when i'm home.

Many mothers stop sending ebm with their toddlers. Totally fine!

i am also asking because i am just wondering how it all works when we do wean. what if he still drinks only an itty bit from the bottle or cup. ?? or will they naturally drink more on their own when you start to wean?

They usually naturally drink more on their own. A little reminding from mom (gently) never hurts.

HTH!

Default Re: liquids, whole milk, etc. at 1

lots of moms wean from pumping 1st and then nurse baby when they are together.
    are you wanting to wean? Pump wean?