Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pain with feedings

Default pain with feedings

My baby is in her six week and I am still experiencing pain with every feeding. I have been to a LL meeting and met with a lactaion consultant at the hospital, but I still find feedings uncomfortable. I always try relatching if it hurts but eventually my daughter gets a little fed up. I was curious if other people have discomfort throughout the first months and if there is an end in sight. I think she just doesn't open her mouth very wide, and clamps down when she sucks. I also get nipple blanching at every feeding.

Default Re: pain with feedings

I was just talking to a mom over the phone who had this very problem! The crushed nipple with blanching does mean that baby is not opening wide, and not getting that tongue out! There are a few things you can do:

"Tease" the baby's tongue out by dripping milk onto her lower lip--see if she will lap it up.

Let her suck on your upturned finger (clean, with nail clipped, of course!). It's a good exercise. Dad's big fingers are even better.

Watch out for pacifiers and bottles until you settle this matter.

When you go to latch her on, give her a firm command to Open! Then demonstrate a wide open mouth for her.

When placing your breast into her mouth, put your fingers a little lower down on the breast for more control. Your C-hold, with thumb on top and four fingers below, should be right near the areola, instead of way up in the thick part of the breast.

Do not allow baby to suck the breast into her mouth! It should be placed in!

Use a warm compress on that blanched nipple to restore circulation.

Last but not least, you may want to have your pediatrician or a lc check her out for tongue tie! There's a very simple correction for tongue tie that will pretty well solve the whole problem. In fact, if you want to move this step all the way to the top, go ahead!

Let us know what happens! If things don't improve, you should probably have someone look at you.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJamaLama
    Dad's big fingers are even better.

Luke would only suck on daddy's finger!

We had a mom last week with this same issue! I agree with the leader, she had some good advice. Something else to look for may be thrush and also I am sorry to say and I may be wrong..... but I think sometimes some of this soreness is normal, maybe... Your nipples have never been used like this before. You just need to make sure that they are not cracked, bleeding, or infected etc.... Signs of thrush would be shooting pains in your breast, painful latch on that seems to get better as the nursing goes on. The baby may or may not have white patches in her mouth, most likely under her lips. Are you using Lansionoh? I think that is was about 3 months when things really started to level out for me. All the best!

I too have the same problem. When I put my nipple out of my babies mouth is is creased and blanched. I thought it was b/c my flow was heavy and that is how he regulated it, but at the same time he doesn't open very wide. Throughout the feeding he slilps off and sucks the nipple back in his mouth (a no no). I am wondering if he pacifier use contributes to this - he is 6 weeks old. I do have a heavy let down and he tends to slip down on the nipple when this happens. It's hard to get him to latch well b/c he chokes on my milk. I don't know what is causing what here? He does weird stuff with his tounge when he eats though sometimes causing bruising on the underneath part of my nipple -?. It's like he thrusts it forward. I read something about a tounge thrust due to nipple confusion. Should I take the pacifier away. The only reason we gave it to him was b/c he was such a sucker and it consoles him. He's had it since 2 weeks of age - thanks to my mom. I don't know what is causing what. I was told that most of these things are due to my fast let down, but I don't know anymore.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

I did experience pain w/ intial latching for unusally long but w/out the blanching. It was worse on the side he didn't favor...and I was a little embarassed because last time we went and saw an LC he was I believe 8 weeks old and all these other babies were were like 5&10 days old . I just sort of resigned myself to the pain because he was opening wide and gaining .....it resovled itself on it's own between 12&16 weeks!!! So definately take the advice here in regards to the blanching, but know that even if you get it all worked out and you still have pain...it should go away in time!! Your doing a great job!

I had the same experience as DJ's Mom......I think my little one's mouth was so little and he has a tight upper lip tie (similar to a tongue tie but with the upper frenulum) that he just couldn't open wide enough. We had a TOUGH time for quite a while. It was also 8 weeks for me when I finally went to an LC. However, long story short, we are FINE now with no pain at all. I almost gave in but am so glad I stuck it out. I also had the nipple blanching and that has gone away too. Hang in there!!!!

LLLJamaLama gave you excellent advice ... try talking to your baby and telling her to "Open" as you show her what to do by opening your own mouth really wide. It's amazing how babies can imitate our facial expressions! And this really seems to work a lot of the time with small mouth latches.

Dr Jack Newman's website actually has videos of latches, including the assymetrical latch which may help you with your little one ...

See "Third Latch" here.

What really helped my baby when her latch wasn't wide enough is making a nipple sandwich (I know ... weird name )? To get a correct latch tickle your baby's lips with your nipple. Then you wait until he/she opens wide. Then you smoosh down your areola (the dark area surrounding your nipple), this will make it fit easier and help baby take in more of your breast. Your areola should hit your baby's bottom lip first, then the top lip. Your baby should have more areola on the bottom in their mouth than on the top (so baby's bottom lip is farther away from the nipple than the top lip). You should find this makes nursing much more comfortable for you. Essentially you are shaping the nipple to get more breast tissue into your baby’s mouth.

Here are some more really helpful pages on latching correctly ...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/sore.html

Latching and Positioning Resources

Let us know how things progress for you. Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon