Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to stop breastfeeding quickly but safely

Default How to stop breastfeeding quickly but safely

I have a 6 month old with lactose intolerance. She breastfed exclusively and refused anyallergy-free formulas until today. Today she had a whole bottle of soya formula and hasn't reacted to it (yet, I know it's early days) and I finally want to throw in the towel and move to soya formula.

Is it safe to 'just stop' breastfeeding? Can I just express off some milk when my breasts become engorged?

Another option is to continue to breastfeed early in the morning and late at night when she is half asleep as she doesn't react in pain then, it's just the three day feeds that she screams though.

So - I guess I have two questions:

If I reduce to 2 breastfeeds a day from 5 is there anything special I need to do?

and...

If I decide to switch entirely to soya formula, how do I stop breastfeeding safely?

I feel sad about 'letting my baby down' but she's had 6 months of breastfeeding through 4 months of colic and 2 further months of stressful feeds (they have been taking up to an hour and a half each time!!!) and now I just want us both to move on to happier lives.

In case it is relevant, she is three weeks into being weaned...

Thank you for any advice you may have...

Default Re: How to stop breastfeeding quickly but safely

Congratulations for making it this far during such tough times!

To answer you questions, it is suggested you slowly stop BF, whether you choose to go from 5 to 2 feeds, or stop completely. Try to eliminate one feeding per day, for your safety and comfort, and for her as well.

I hope things go well for you!