Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: poopy question, flakes?

Default poopy question, flakes?

Hi there,

I have a question about my son's bm today. It seemed normal at first, a mustard colored glob, but then I saw a flake. It was like the flakes that fall of the crust of a bread -that color and like a thin shaving of it. It definitely didn't look red or blood colored so I don't think it has anything to do with that. The only thing that I can connect it with is that yesterday evening I gave him an oz of breastmilk with oatmeal and bananas. That stuff is flaky so could it be that he didn't digest it completely? There weren't a lot of flakes, I would say def. less than ten.

Also, does this mean that he's possibly allergic to it and I should no longer feed him it? I think it was the oatmeal bc he's down to one bm a day...Besides the flakes he wasn't fussy or anything...

Thanks a bunch!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: poopy question, flakes?

I know that some of the fiber from bananas can pass whole, could that be it?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by jaki.my.ny View Post
    Hi there,

I have a question about my son's bm today. It seemed normal at first, a mustard colored glob, but then I saw a flake. It was like the flakes that fall of the crust of a bread -that color and like a thin shaving of it. It definitely didn't look red or blood colored so I don't think it has anything to do with that. The only thing that I can connect it with is that yesterday evening I gave him an oz of breastmilk with oatmeal and bananas. That stuff is flaky so could it be that he didn't digest it completely? There weren't a lot of flakes, I would say def. less than ten.

Also, does this mean that he's possibly allergic to it and I should no longer feed him it? I think it was the oatmeal bc he's down to one bm a day...Besides the flakes he wasn't fussy or anything...

Thanks a bunch!
    Which kind of oatmeal-the real stuff or "baby" oatmeal that you add water to the flakes? If it's oatmeal like Quaker Oats or something, it could be grains of that. That's the only thing that comes to mind. Are those (oatmeal and banana) the only solids lo eats so far?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

It was the baby kind. That is really the only thing that he eats and very infrequently (I'm too lazy to pump). Although thinking about it, it could have been something else. I let him taste nearly everything I eat that doesn't have dairy, egg, etc. I was remembering that night that, after the oatmeal, hubby and I were having mexican food. I let my son taste my burrito and he ended up with a little bit of beans in his mouth -probably half of a baby spoonful.

Can you give baby's regular adult oatmeal?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!