Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plugged Duct?!

Default Plugged Duct?!

Hi there,
    I've just been to the doctor because I have had a lump in my breast for some weeks now. I assumed that it was a plugged duct, and that it would go away. However, it did not and after much massaging, hot showers, hot compresses and and trying to nurse my almost weaned two-year-old as much as possible, the lump persisted and now it's sore. The glands behind my right ear and the back of my neck are swollen, but my temp pretty much normal. The doctor said that we should treat it with an antibiotic, and she gave me amoxicillin. Does this sound right? When does a plugged duct become mastitis? And can a plugged duct last for so long? Thank you!!

Default Re: Plugged Duct?!

When you start having flu like symptoms its probably mastitis. Some women get breast cysts, have you checked for that yet? No fever huh. Thats usually a huge indicator of breast infection.

Treating with abx at this point seems reasonable (although of course I'm not a doctor, just a mama whose had mastitis a few times). I had an infection last year that I had no fever with. It was deep in the milk ducts. It did take two rounds of abx (specifically azithromycin) to kick it, though. Cephalexin did not work for me.
    Sometimes abx can contribute to yeast infections/thrush so I would recommend taking a probiotic supplement while you're on abx.
    I hope you are able to resolve this soon.
    You might also ask your doctor about the possibility of abscess.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Personally, I would want any lump to be taken very seriously. While you are nursing and plugged duct or mastitis without fever are possibilities, other things could be going on. The lymph node swelling does indicate some sort of immune response but I would be more assertive with your doctor, possibly an ultrasound of the lump?
    Jenny B.
    Mom to Maximilian Kelly
    for over one year and ing it!

Here's an article that might help you sort things out. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/22blo..._mastitis.html

I agree w JJoyce25. If you're not sure what the thing is, ultrasound it. I've been prone to plugged ducts lately, but fairly recently developed something different -- very superficial -- on one of my breasts. I had an ultrasound scheduled, but fortunately, by the time I was to have the study the lump had mysteriously gone away. I didn't follow though w the study. The ultrasound would have distinguished between a plugged duct vs. a solid mass, or other problem. I didn't have lymph nodes nor fever this time (which is part of why I got away without the US), but something like that needs to be taken seriously.

Makes sense to use the antibiotic in your case, but my personal bias is to see what it is before taking a drug to treat it.

Thanks for your responses

I just read the kellymom link on mastitis, and it mentioned that the antibiotic must be effective against Staphylococcus aureus. Isn't that MRSA? Would that explain some really sore, staph-like pimples I have been getting on my back? (Sorry this is probably more than some of you would like to know

I have a scratchy throat and achy body now, but still no fever.

I guess I won't take the amoxicillin if it's usually ineffective against mastitis, and try to go back to the doctor early next week.

give them a call I bet they would prescribe something stronger over the phone if you ask...

imo a week is too long to wait. Call now.

MRSA stands for methicillin resistant Staph. aureus. Not all Staph aureus is resistant (probably most isn't resistant, though it's getting more common) so the antibiotic may work on a Staph aureus infection...but it might not. Only thing is, you don't know if the infection's not been cultured or until you try the drug, and you also don't know what bug you have, if any.

Here's what Dr. Jack Newman says in regard to medicating mastitis:

Amoxicillin, plain penicillin, and some other antibiotics often prescribed for mastitis are usually useless for mastitis. If you need an antibiotic, it must be effective against Staphylococcus aureus. Effective for this bacterium are: cephalexin, cloxacillin, flucloxacillin, amoxicillin-clavulinic acid, clindamycin and ciprofloxacin. The last two are effective for mothers allergic to penicillin. You can and should continue breastfeeding while taking these medications.

Don't know why mastitis would cause a scratchy throat (though I get malaise with it). Maybe you have an unrelated infection? Regardless, if you're getting worse, don't sit around on this several days. Get yourself checked out. And you're obviously right to be concerned that you were given the wrong antibiotic. You can refer your doctor to www.drjacknewman.com, or printout his handout on blocked ducts and mastitis on his website and take it with you to your clinic.