Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does gagging mean she's not ready?

Default Does gagging mean she's not ready?

I tried cereal with my DD yesterday and today. Yesterday I felt it was a little overwhelming for all of us (DH included) and the cereal was so watered down with breastmilk and I have lipase issues so I also wasn't sure if maybe it just didn't taste good.

SOoo, I tried again today just her and me and I had JUST pumped my milk so I know it was fresh. I also gave her some EBM on the spoon just to see her reaction and she kept making a weird face even with just the milk, so I decided if she made that face while eating the cereal I wouldn't worry. So, with the cereal she kept opening her mouth but was gagging a lot and making a weird face... I kept trying to make it a good experience and she did keep opening her mouth, but I'm thinking that the gagging shows she's not quite ready. When should I try again?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: Does gagging mean she's not ready?

okay, I realize how silly that title question sounds Just want to do the right thing and I don't want to force anything...just not sure if I should try again tomorrow or wait a whole week? I'm worried that she will continue to reject it.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

She's not quite 6 months....I'd hold off until then at least.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

sounds like with the gagging she may not be ready. If you find that more is coming out then going in then she probably is not. Trust your gut.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

I would wait and come back with a whole food that she can put in her mouth herself. That way, if she keeps putting it in, you KNOW she likes it!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.