Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 week old daughter....

Lightbulb 4 week old daughter....

This is my second dd but first time successfuly bf. I am worried she is not getting enough milk! At first It would take me about an hour to feed her (she ate for 10-15 minutes each side) and she usually took both breasts, now the feeding process is about 30 minutes and she only eats for 5-10 minutes on one breast. She eats every 1 to 3 hours during the day and then has 1 5 to 6 hour sleep spurt at night and then a 3 hour one. She has plenty of wet diapers and stools and has no signs of dehydration and seems to be gaining weight ok she was 6lbs 14.8oz at birth...6lbs 7oz 3 days...7lbs at 1 week...7lbs 12oz at 1.5 week. She went to the doc so much because of high biliruben and also a nasty eye infection. I am just worried she isn't getting the fatty hindmilk because I still have milk leaking when she is finished (breast is much lighter though).

Also, I am going to return to work in 2 or 3 weeks (I am dreading this!!!!!!) and I am firm on continuing to breastfeed and bottlefeed breast milk, however, I am having a tough time pumping!! When should I pump? I do not want to pump and then my daughter have nothing left to eat. I am just confused. Also, if I pump after a feed (30 minutes or so) I only get 2 oz from each...can I mix whatever I get from that day together and store? HELP PLEASE!!!! Thanks

Default Re: 4 week old daughter....

if you baby is having plenty of wet diapers and stools, she is getting plenty of milk.
    if you are worried about her not getting enough hindmilk, you could try feeding her all on one side and then save the other for the next feeding.
    i can tell when my milk has started to get more fatty (hindmilk) when my baby's sucking slows.
    you could even try pulling the baby off (when she's in a good mood) and checking during different parts of her nursing session to see how thick your milk is. just express some onto your finger and compare it to the beginning of the feeding. that way you have an idea of how long it takes baby to get to your hindmilk.
    also, her nursing sessions will become shorter and shorter as she gets better at nursing and can get the same amount of milk in less time.
    and about the leaking,
    my breasts did not stop leaking until my son was 5 months old.
    some mothers breasts leak up until the day they wean, and other's hardly leak at all. this is not a reliable way to know if you have enough milk.

also about going back to work.
    i've never had to do that, but i just talked to a mother who is going back soon. her baby is 6 weeks and her ped told her not to worry about starting a supply until a few weeks before she goes back. he suggested that she express milk 1 and 1/2 hours before she feeds and after she feeds to help build not only her supply in her breasts, but also in her freezer. be sure to avoid starting your supply around the 6 week mark, b/c your baby will most likely have a growth spurt right around that time, so she will probably need any extra milk and be nursing often to help build your supply. maybe right after that growth spurt would be a good time to start building your freezer supply, when she is nursing less.

i hope this helps, and i hope your family adjusts well to your return to work.
    Last edited by toricaswell; February 21st, 2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: left out the part about breasts leaking ;)

Default Re: 4 week old daughter....

Quote Originally Posted by MommyZ View Post
    This is my second dd but first time successfuly bf. I am worried she is not getting enough milk! At first It would take me about an hour to feed her (she ate for 10-15 minutes each side) and she usually took both breasts, now the feeding process is about 30 minutes and she only eats for 5-10 minutes on one breast. She eats every 1 to 3 hours during the day and then has 1 5 to 6 hour sleep spurt at night and then a 3 hour one. She has plenty of wet diapers and stools and has no signs of dehydration and seems to be gaining weight ok she was 6lbs 14.8oz at birth...6lbs 7oz 3 days...7lbs at 1 week...7lbs 12oz at 1.5 week. She went to the doc so much because of high biliruben and also a nasty eye infection. I am just worried she isn't getting the fatty hindmilk because I still have milk leaking when she is finished (breast is much lighter though).
    What goes in, must come out. She's having plenty of diapers, gaining, growing...that all sounds really good!

It's normal for babies to become more efficient at the breast as the grow and get stronger, so the length of feeding need not be of concern. And it sounds as if you're letting your baby "finish the first breast first", which is one of the best ways to assure baby gets enough hindmilk.

Here's some helpful information:
    How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?
    Are my breasts working normally?
    Three Course Meal and a Dance

Quote Originally Posted by MommyZ View Post
    Also, I am going to return to work in 2 or 3 weeks (I am dreading this!!!!!!) and I am firm on continuing to breastfeed and bottlefeed breast milk, however, I am having a tough time pumping!! When should I pump? I do not want to pump and then my daughter have nothing left to eat. I am just confused. Also, if I pump after a feed (30 minutes or so) I only get 2 oz from each...can I mix whatever I get from that day together and store? HELP PLEASE!!!! Thanks
    Two ounces per side is a GOOD amount. In fact, it's a bit more than most mothers would pump in the same period of time when exclusively nursing.

You can combine milk from different feedings for storage. However, I would suggest storing in 3 ounce increments for less waste.

As for when to pump, my best suggestion is to pick one time a day and pump at that time. Some mothers prefer to pump in the morning, since that is when they are able to pump the most. You don't need a lot of milk to start, really. Just enough for that first day and a couple of "just in case" feedings.

Finally, even if your baby decides to nurse just after you pumped, there will still be milk there for her. The breast is never truly empty.

Here are some helpful resources:
    How do I store my milk?
    How can I make my return to work easier?
    Work articles from LLLI
    All About Pumping (non-LLL resource)

HTH!