Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ped wants me to supplement 10 month old with formula

Default Re: Ped wants me to supplement 10 month old with formula

Thank you soo much for your responses - I feel much better. DD is in the 3rd percentile now - she just doesn't have much fat on her. She's in the 25th for height but I think the doc is looking at a ff growth chart. She was in the 10th for weight but dropped to the 3rd around 6 months which is why the doc is concerned. She's remained in the 3rd since then. I feel she eats plenty in addition to bf - she eats a yogurt for breakfast, rice cereal and fruit for lunch and dinner and finger foods - fruit, avacado, bits of pasta and cheerios in between. She is meeting all milestones and then some - how normal is it for a baby to drop percentiles for weight?

What was her weight when she was born? As long as your lo is consistantly gaining, I wouldn't worry too much. If it will make you feel better get a second opinion.

Caitlyn who is breastfed was 8 lbs 7 oz at birth, she will be 10 months old tomorrow and at her dr apt on Tuesday she was 18 pounds and 27 1/2 inches.

Camryn and Carson were both formula fed and I was looking back at their weights. Camryn who started out at 4 pounds 4oz, was 18 pounds 27 1/2 inches at 9 months and Carson (who started out at 6 pounds 6 oz) was 28 1/2 inches and 22 pounds at 9 months.

Formula fed babies gain so much faster. Even though Camryn and Caitlyn were close to the same weight around the same age, Caitlyn was twice Camryn's weight when she was born.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

I always used to worry so much about weight gain although my ped didn't. He always said if the diapers output were normal and my LO was happy and reaching the milestones it was fine. I'd suggest you read "My child won't eat" by Dr. Carlos Gonzalez it's terrific (http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr06p76.html). If it was my LO, I would focus in nursing him more and feeding him high nutrient dense foods like avocado for example. Good luck with your LO she seems to be doing fine. I agree with some of PPs to look for a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy78 View Post
    My 10 month old is petite - she weighs in about 15.5 pounds but she has a petite frame. She is also VERY active - already cruising and trying to walk. The ped makes me come once a month to get weighed - usually she gains a pound every other month. The doc made us get testing for everything and nothing came up. I am bf and the doc said my dd should be eating 12 tbps of cereal every day plus 5-6 jars of baby food and bf 5 times a day. DD never gets that much down - she fights and puts up her hands. I find myself bf her 7-8 times a day to make sure she gains. The Ped is really making me doubt myself - now she wants me to supplement with formula after every feeding. DD won't have anything to do with it and I don't blame her - it tastes horrible! Anyone going through the same thing - I feel like I'm starving my DD!
    I haven't read the whole thread, but there is NO WAY my daughter was eating 5-6 jars of food, PLUS cereal per day at that age!! In fact, I am SHOCKED your ped thinks she should eat that much. That's a lot for a 10 month old.

My daughter didn't start eating significant amounts of food (finishing a jar in 1 sitting, eating more than 1 jar a day) until she was over a year. She did just fine on mama's milk. She's in the 25% percentile for height and weight, so she's petite. But she didn't need more food, it's just her build.

I would follow your instincts and BF your daughter as often as she likes and compliment with solids when she'll eat them. As long as she's gaining, happy and healthy then she's probably fine.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

You arent' alone. My DD only gained 4 ounces between her 6 month and 9 month visit to the doctors. She weighed in at 16 pounds 3 ounces when she was 9 months and now at 11 months she weighs 17. My daughter doesn't come close to eating the amount of food that your doctor said! It sounds like a ton of food to me. My DD eats a yo baby and half a banana for breakfast, 1 jar of Earth's Best Apple, Cinnamon Oatmeal for lunch, and then hummus, or a little of what we are eating for dinner. She still nurses 6 times a day too. I was really nervous too but friends kept telling me that she is meeting her milestones and she is really active so she is fine. I would reccoment getting a different doctor. It sounds like your daughter is happy and active. She'll eat more when she is ready!

I agree with the others. It sounds like your daughter is active and healthy. My DD is 10 mos. too and 18 lbs, but it sounds like she eats about the same amount as your LO. I can't imagine her eating 5-6 jars a day plus cereal! I think each kid gains at their own pace, and it sounds like you're doing your best to make sure she gets enough by bf more and doing solids as much as she wants.

I just wanted to weigh in w/ my two cents. My baby was always "big" from the beginning - but at 6 mo. he dropped from the 90th percentile to the 50th percentile. My ped. put some pressure on me to feed him more jarred food at that time. So, I switched doctors. At 14 mo. my baby is still a good size (25 lbs.) but there is NO WAY he would eat 5-6 jars of baby food a day, or 12 tbsp of cereal. He breastfed for a year - and now drinks 12-20 oz. of milk a day, plus three or four VERY SMALL MEALS! I also read the book "My Child Won't Eat" and decided I would never force my child to eat and that I wasn't going to worry about his eating or weight gain. You are doing a great job - don't worry about forcing food and certainly don't supplement unless YOU feel you should. 18 lbs seems very reasonable at 10 mo. good luck!

I with all the pps. I am a mom of three petite lo. My first 2 kids were ff and my dd1 was and still is about 25% for her weight and about 70% for her height. Ds is a different story. He is NOT on a chart and never has been. He is almost 5% for weight after being 3% for 2yrs. I do not remember his height but I think he was about 40% at the most. He is short . If it was not for my dd1 my ped would have been very worried about ds, but we have a history of petite kids. My kids never ate 5 - 6 jars of food. They had about 8bottles (32oz) tops, 1/4c of cereal with a fruit or veggie (1/2 a jar), 1/5 jar at lunch, and then a jar of food at dinner with some table food from our plates.

Now our 3rd was just shy of 13lbs and 23in. at her appt. back in January. She is about 25% for everything I think and perfect as far as my ped is concerned. She is 6months drinks from a cup, bf whenever she wants, eats two jars of stage one food or one stage two food a day.

speaking of eatting gatta run

I think are you doing fine mama and go with you gutt feeling. It also does not hurt to get a 2nd opinion if you are really worried.

Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

All 3 of my kids were 75th percentile or above in their first 6 mos. After 6 mos, every one of them dropped below the 50th for weight. Totally common. At least in my family.

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post
    All 3 of my kids were 75th percentile or above in their first 6 mos. After 6 mos, every one of them dropped below the 50th for weight. Totally common. At least in my family.
    Very true even my ped warned me about the drop with dd1 and once she started walking she dropped a little bit more.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.