Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ped wants me to supplement 10 month old with formula

Default Ped wants me to supplement 10 month old with formula

My 10 month old is petite - she weighs in about 15.5 pounds but she has a petite frame. She is also VERY active - already cruising and trying to walk. The ped makes me come once a month to get weighed - usually she gains a pound every other month. The doc made us get testing for everything and nothing came up. I am bf and the doc said my dd should be eating 12 tbps of cereal every day plus 5-6 jars of baby food and bf 5 times a day. DD never gets that much down - she fights and puts up her hands. I find myself bf her 7-8 times a day to make sure she gains. The Ped is really making me doubt myself - now she wants me to supplement with formula after every feeding. DD won't have anything to do with it and I don't blame her - it tastes horrible! Anyone going through the same thing - I feel like I'm starving my DD!

Default Re: Ped wants me to supplement 10 month old with formula

i don't have any advice, but there will be someone who does have some. i'm sorry you are doubting yourself.

what percentile is she in for weight? if she's not at risk i don't see why you should force feed?

i'd give you some of my DS's 90th percentile weight if i could. we're learning to share

Why do you feel like you are starving your child? Is it because of what the pedi said? How is her output? She is meeting all of her milestones and from what you said right on track if not early? If she is refusing food, she is telling you she is full. Trust yourself and follow her lead, she will tell you if she needs more!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I would trust your instincts, mama. How do you feel she is doing? It sounds to me like you think she's a healthy, thriving baby. Then she probably is! Is she steadily gaining and growing? All 3 of my kids slowed WAY down on the growth charts after 6 mos (FF and BF).

I think you need to trust your child's cues, too. Forcing food down doesn't sound right to me. In fact, solids have fewer calories ounce-for-ounce than breastmilk. If nothing else, I'd reduce the solids intake and increase the breastfeeding. She'd get more calories that way. Again, none of my kids ate 5-6 jars of baby food in a day's time. In fact, my twins would SHARE that many jars of baby food in a day.

Again, trust your instincts. If you feel like the advice you've been given is "off", then don't feel bad about seeking out another pediatrician that may share your views.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy78 View Post
    she fights and puts up her hands.
    If she's fighting being spoon fed - perhaps trying some safe finger foods and letting her self-feed?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I agree with PP -- Try some finger foods and see if she will try that. My daughter never at baby-food!! I even home-made it with my BM in the food processor. My DD ate steamed veggies from 7 months on and still prefers veggies over everything else.

Do what you feel is right -- you know your baby best. Weight issues are not the same as developmental issues. If your baby has a low weight but is developing according to age appropriate milestones, keep doing what you are doing. Perhaps a second doctor opinion would be better than a change in what you are providing as a mom. Formula is NEVER a NESSECARY component to a baby's diet.

~HTH

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy78 View Post
    My 10 month old is petite - she weighs in about 15.5 pounds but she has a petite frame. She is also VERY active - already cruising and trying to walk. The ped makes me come once a month to get weighed - usually she gains a pound every other month. The doc made us get testing for everything and nothing came up. I am bf and the doc said my dd should be eating 12 tbps of cereal every day plus 5-6 jars of baby food and bf 5 times a day. DD never gets that much down - she fights and puts up her hands. I find myself bf her 7-8 times a day to make sure she gains. The Ped is really making me doubt myself - now she wants me to supplement with formula after every feeding. DD won't have anything to do with it and I don't blame her - it tastes horrible! Anyone going through the same thing - I feel like I'm starving my DD!
    First off, I would suggest that you get a 2nd opinion from a different doctor. The doctor should know that no single jarred baby food can equal the calories and nutrition and good fat content of breastmilk AND that solids should be complimentary to breastmilk for the first 12 mos. He should know that, but it sounds like he doesn't, IYKWIM.

Here's a couple of charts from KellyMom. This first one shows the caloric content of human milk vs other milks so you have an idea of calories per ounce: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...kcalories.html This second one is a chart that lists the caloric content of common baby foods per ounce, as well as their fat content. You'll notice, that breastmilk has the highest fat content per gram other than avacado...and breastmilk has good fats that los need for proper brain development: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

Here's some info on average weight gains by age of breastfed babies: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html Which for the 6-12 mos. period is only 2-4 ounces per week...so it sounds like your lo is gaining about 8 oz. a month...which would be 2 ounces per week. If she didn't abruptly change growth curves, then it sounds like she's completely within the ranges of normal as long as she's meeting all of her milestones and having good dirty and wet diaper output. Here's another link to their page with infant growth calculators and such: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html Their site should also be able to show you the WHO breastfed baby growth charts as well if you do a search...and keep in mind, they are different than formula fed baby results, and many ped.s are using charts put out by info gained from formula fed babies, not strictly breastfed babies.

Lastly, regarding the amount of baby food the ped. expects your child to be eating...IMO and IME with my own kids, I think that is WAY more than most babies that age eat. I have one DS who was always in the 75% for weight and height and one who was in the 5th% for weight and 50th% for height. Neither one ever ate that amount of baby food at 10 mos. of age. In fact, I'd say that they both ate pretty much the same amount of food at that age, but one is really solid and was bigger, and the other has always been smaller, but more active than any baby I've ever seen. They both kept to their own normal growth curves, and are both completely healthy, even though one was REALLY big, and one was pretty small. They're both perfectly normal.

I always look at my smallest boy that if he goes to a party with 100 kids, 94 of them will probably weigh more, but 4 of them will weigh less. That's just his place on the curve, it doesn't mean he's not healthy in any way.

Also, if you've done all the testing you can, and everything indicates that your lo is completely healthy, then I'd suggest finding a different ped. IMO, its too much to expect you to constantly be going to the doc. for weigh ins when its obvious that your lo is fine, just petite. Some kids are just petite, its not a health condition, its just how they're made. There's no need to constantly have to worry that something is wrong. A 2nd opinion will probably set your mind at ease, and you might end up liking the 2nd doctor much better as well.

i would just keep doing what your doing, my daughter 14mo, is very petite and she only weights 18lbs, she is very active as well, walking since 11mo and eats everythign and anythign, just keep doing what your doing, your daughter will eat if she is hungry and if she is growing then why worry
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Sounds very familiar! My lo is almost 10 months (next week!) and is 18lbs and 28 in. At the last appointment, pedi told us that although we are not supposed to come back til 12 months, she wanted us to come back for a weight/height/head check to be sure everything was ok. Although our pedi did tell us nothing was wrong she just wanted to be sure it stayed that way! she also didn't tell us to change anything . . . I have been really glad she has NEVER asked me to supplement. IMO that seems like an extreme amount of baby food. My lo usually has a fruit or fruit with a grain in the am and then either a veggie or something we are eating for lunch (or both) and then what we are eating for dinner (or a veggie and sometimes a fruit if he is not into what we are eating) so he gets 3 meals, but if he doesnt want more he certainly lets me know and I don't push it. He loves cheerios and puffs and sometimes the only way I can get him to sit still long enough to eat (if he doenst want what we are eating) is to offer a few O's or puffs for him to self feed while I am giving the puree. but honestly, we are doing WAY more self feeding these days, it is so much easier and he likes it so much more. I have supplemeted a couple of times an ounse or 2 .. . but currently my lo is refusing all bottles, even of bm so we couldn't supplement if I wanted too! just try to give nutrional choices for your lo and keep nursing. We still nurse around 6-8X's a day . . . like, pp said, you can tell if your lo is getting enough bm by diaper output. and bm intake is what is most important. With solids, you can only give as much as your lo will eat! Good Luck!