Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Domperidone dose?

Default Re: Domperidone dose?

Hi!

Just read your post - you got it in the mail????

I was on Domperidone, but it was prescribed by my doctor. I agree with above posts on us not even attempting to provide medical info. If you plan on taking it, please get a medical opinion first!!! It is a drug afterall.

But I will share that I was on it for one month only, and did all the other things to help increase my supply at the same time. Most of which I learned from this forum! In the end, I think it was the advice I recieved here, rather than domperidone that helped the most.

You are doing great

A baby uses compression and suction, a pump just suction. You really cannot tell what you have available by using your pump as a guide.
    You can do this mama. Just keep nursing your baby.

I wish I could up it without using anything. I think I am just afraid I wont have enough. The way it is now Im spending about 100 a month on pills and 60 for the pump... wow... haha...

Brayden Mommy---- What did you do to increase your supply?

Mama - try taking a look again at the sites I gave links to output and what it should feel like. Also - carpentergirl gave some great info... I will bet money you've got enough \

Shes also entering into an age where she may want to nurse more because of an impending growth spurt... You can do this... You ARE doing this

Oh and I think it was already said, but the pump isn't a good indicator of what baby is getting AND because you pumped that amount after she ate, that is great!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for asking! I did it ALL to increase my supply!

I pumped after every BF, even if nothing came out. The stimulation helps. Try warm compresses and self massage before pumping. Believe it or not, I often pump while reading this forum! One hand on the pump, one hand on the mouse And I have baby photos all around my pump, it seems to help with the let-down.

I drank lots of water. I didnt realize how little I was drinking because we are so busy as new moms!

I eat porridge (oatmeal) every day. I forget why, but apparently its a very well know trick to help with your milk.

I stopped using formula. We supplemented early on because of a big drop in weight, jaundice, super sleepy baby, not latching properly, bleeding nipples etc... But as I learned here, every ounce of formula is an ounce less he feeds from me. This affects your production. Its all supply & demand!

I did a 'Nurse-In' weekend. Literally stay in bed with your baby for a weekend, get books, magazines, cuddle lots, play, skin to skin contact, feed on a good schedule (2-3hrs). We had to reconnect, and being together 24/7 forced it. Cancel all appointments, stay home, get focused. My body reacted to the closeness and the milk was there!

Like you, I was questioning my milk supply. I can only pump one ounce on a good day, and I even rented the hospital grade pump! My husband & I call it the 'Industrial Strength Boob Juicer" But not all of us can pump 6-8 or more ounces, and thats ok! Our babies are the pro's at this, they get more from BF'ing than the pumping would ever produce.

Bottom line - if your gorgeous little girl is gaining weight and has dirty diapers, then you are doing exactly what you need to be doing. You mentioned she never seems satisfied, why do you think this? I felt the same, and it turns out he was using me as a pacifier!

Before too long, you wont doubt yourself anymore. The early weeks are the hardest, then you will be so proud of yourself. I'm excited for you to feel that way!

Sorry, it took me awhile to get back to this. We have been having some issues...

She never seems satisfied because she can nurse for an hour straight and fall asleep, the moment she is put down she wakes up crying and sucking. Her diaper output is borderline .. Im not 100% sure if she is peeing enough.

The other day something told me her fussiness wasn't not normal. I brought her to the pedi and he had me bring 3 of her poop diapers to check. All of them contained microscopic traces of blood. He isn't sure if its a milk allergy, reflux or possibly caught the virus my 17 month old had. He gave me a script for Zantac and Alimentum to supplement her when I have too.

I nursed her at 8am and 2pm today. I pumped every 2 hours the rest of the time. I upped my water today so far I have drank 100oz. Someone said that is to much? It can make me sick? Hmm not sure on that one.

I guess I am one of those people who do not trust my body to provide for my lil one. Seeing is believing? I wish I could get that thought out of my head. Anyhoo.. I pump 1/2 oz out of each side every 2 hours. So 1oz total. I find that odd. Why is it the same amount exactly? Never more, never less. It's like my eyes are so use to seeign that 1oz mark, it wont let anymore come out!!

I just started taking the herbs and such again, I took a break to see if this was possibly a reason for her fussiness, but nope, after 5 days off those, she still fussed. Grr.. Im cluess!!

No, you're doing great! Sorry you've had a rough week. It WILL get better....

Quote Originally Posted by Irsheyez76 View Post
    Sorry, it took me awhile to get back to this. We have been having some issues...

She never seems satisfied because she can nurse for an hour straight and fall asleep, the moment she is put down she wakes up crying and sucking. Her diaper output is borderline .. Im not 100% sure if she is peeing enough.

Hmmm. I think she cries because she is waking up and realizing you are not holding her anymore, not necessarily from hunger. I nurse to sleep also, and everytime I put him down he woke up, and I had to nurse him again to get him back to sleep, grrr. Turns out he was waking because of how I was laying him down in his crib. But I have mastered the technique! When asleep in my arms, I take my nipple out of his mouth, wait another few minutes, then walk over to his crib. He is cradled in one arm, and I cradle the outside edge of him with my other arm, ensuring his head is cupped in my hand. I lean over the crib, being so careful to not let his head drop back, because that wakes him everytime. If he fusses a bit when I lay him down, I keep my arms cradled around him, so he feels the security. Then I slowly move my arms away.

Diaper output borderline, how many pees? Are you seeing any pink crystally spots in her diaper? (you shouldn't be)

The other day something told me her fussiness wasn't not normal. I brought her to the pedi and he had me bring 3 of her poop diapers to check. All of them contained microscopic traces of blood. He isn't sure if its a milk allergy, reflux or possibly caught the virus my 17 month old had. He gave me a script for Zantac and Alimentum to supplement her when I have too.

Fussiness IS normal, but then its our job to figure out whats going on to cause it, and try to fix it. No baby is allergic to their own mothers milk, its custom made! I dont know what to say about the blood, but do what your Dr advises. I know that sometimes there is trace blood in breastmilk

I nursed her at 8am and 2pm today. I pumped every 2 hours the rest of the time. I upped my water today so far I have drank 100oz. Someone said that is to much? It can make me sick? Hmm not sure on that one.

You wont get sick, but that sure is a lot of water! You must have been peeing all day! Can I ask why you only nursed twice today, at 8 and 2? Its great that you are pumping, but it is CRUCIAL to increase breast time and skin contact with baby to help with milk production. That contact increases prolactin, a natural hormone in your body. You should BF every 2-3 hours, then pump of you want/have to, but always start with baby breastfeeding. She works better than a pump anyway

I guess I am one of those people who do not trust my body to provide for my lil one. Seeing is believing? I wish I could get that thought out of my head. Anyhoo.. I pump 1/2 oz out of each side every 2 hours. So 1oz total. I find that odd. Why is it the same amount exactly? Never more, never less. It's like my eyes are so use to seeign that 1oz mark, it wont let anymore come out!!

You are doubting yourself because it is still early on and you are having problems, but it will get better and you will think you are a superstar for mastering this! About the pumping, that is not unusual at all. Dont focus on the number, and always pump for 5 minutes more after the last drops come out. Or with a marker, write #1 up by the 3oz mark to fool your eyes

I just started taking the herbs and such again, I took a break to see if this was possibly a reason for her fussiness, but nope, after 5 days off those, she still fussed. Grr.. Im cluess!!
    With the fussiness, if you have tried everything else (soothing her, rocking her, signing, changing her diaper, naps) maybe she is actually hungry. You nursed her twice today, and pumped the rest, but if you are only getting 1oz, are you supplementing the rest with formula? The 1oz is definitely NOT enough food for her unless you are BF first then giving her the additional 1oz. Others may not agree with me, but you might have to temporarily supplement. But hang in there! Don't give up!!! Keep me up to date with how things are going ok?

Hi,

Just FYI, babies are a lot better at removing milk from the breast than pumps are. Your baby gets more milk when nursing directly than you will get from even the best pump.

Breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. Frequent nursing during the early months is absolutely normal, and is not an indication that your production is inadequate. Some babies have a high-need personality, and need to suck a lot. Others just like to be close to mom, and nursing fills that need beautifully.

Here's a reassuring article that you might enjoy:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/Law45com.html

Hang in there, mama! You can do this.

Tiana

Okay, I am going to pipe in here. I think that you are paying good attention to your baby and your mother's intuition is telling you that you need to build up your milk supply. You are sooooo close though, that with a little work, you will be proudly, confidently nursing.

You are an experienced mom -- you know that what is hard today will be easier in just a few weeks. Put the work in now, and you will LOVE breastfeeding.

1) As a mom with 4 children I recommend talking to your husband about getting short-term help. Neighbor, grandma, teenager who is great with kids, splurge for a house keeper for just a little while? (I didn't have this, so it is possible to do without, but it sure would have helped).

2) Nurse baby using compression. Nurse both breasts and go back to each breast a second time. You switch as soon as baby stops sucking with compression and before baby goes to sleep. (Often baby goes to sleep when milk stops flowing).

3) Don't be afraid to supplement. Rule number one is FEED YOUR BABY. After you have switch nursed, use a supplemental nursing system (SNS) so that the baby is at the breast, giving you stimulation while you supplement. Sometimes the baby will continue to milk your breast with the higher flow provided by the tube when she won't without it. This helps stimulate the next let-down, and helps get out the last drops. And helps build milk supply. (Bottle feeding obviously, does not do this. Bottle feeding also "drowns" baby with milk leaving little choice but to swallow or choke. This leads to overeating and feeding less often, giving less breast stimulation, and signaling the body to make less milk - an all round bad situation. So, please, use the supplementer, not a bottle if you are going to supplement. In fact, PM me and I will mail you the ones that I used so you do not have to buy one).

4) Immediately after a feeding, baby should have limp, relaxed limbs, and at this age will usually be in a "milk drunkened stupor." I am guessing that this is the que that you know should be there (from your previous babies) that isn't there. At this point, either put baby down, craddle baby in your lap, or hand off baby to your husband/oldest child/mother's helper.

5) Pump with a HOSPITAL GRADE PUMP (not a pump n style) after each and every feeding. Pump for 5 minutes AFTER you see the last drop. This tells your body to make more milk. I found that having 2 pumping kits was a great help. (At night you can just throw the kit in soapy water and wait to wash until the morning).

6) If possible, have someone else wash up the SNS and pumping kits while you rest bare chested with baby. Just being skin-to-skin will stimulate your hormones. (Again, I didn't have anyone to do this, but I wish I had!!! The Medela microsteam bags make clean-up so much easier. I thought they were worth the $5 to buy a box).

7) At the next feeding, after switch nursing and compression, put your expressed milk into the SNS, first. Let her nurse that out before adding anymore formula to the SNS (so you don't waste your precious milk down the drain with any left over!)

8) You know that you have built up your supply when you do have a relaxed happy baby after feeding with expressed breast milk left over in the SNS.

Yes, this will take up your entire day. But it DOES happen. Probably within just a few weeks since you really do have a good amount of milk already.

I took Domperidone. I found that it really helped me (in addition to the above regimine). I used the dosing I found from Jack Newman MD. I experienced no side effects. I was very glad for the help it provided.

I also found help from the book Mother Food by Hillary Jacobson. She has chapters on both food sensitivities and foods that increase milk. You would probably benifit from both this book TONS since the doctor noted trace blood in the stool. She talks about that in this book.

Oh, 100 oz of water a day can actually reduce breast milk. Drink to thirst or about 8-10 glasses. I make it easy on myself and just drink a glass each time I nurse.

I hope this post helps. I think that you are so very close and your hormones are still primed for increasing milk. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
    Last edited by relactatingmomforthelord; March 5th, 2008 at 09:17 AM.

relactatingmomforthelord : I PM'ed you a couple weeks ago = )

I wish I could get a maid! I keep offering friends 50$ to come clean my house haha.. no takers yet. I don't even care about my house anymore. Kids want clean laundry they can do it themselves (my older two). Hubby and I will take care of the other laundry.

I do have an SNS, I just had a hard time using it all the time. I saw a link somewhere that shows I don't have to use it around my neck. I can just insert a tube and she will suck it up, that might make things easier. Just keeping those tubes on my nipple was a major pain, she would move her arms and they would just come off. I don't mind if I HAVE to supplement, I just wish I didn't have to. I am just unsure how I will know when I can stop the formula. I know every bit of formula she gets can put me a step backwards.

I also do have a hospital pump, I rented a symphony about a month ago.

My major downfall is that I forget things. I was forgetting to eat, drink, and take my herbs. I now have a log I am putting things into to help with my forgetfullness... (sleep deprivation I guess)