Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't stop biting!

Default Won't stop biting!

my 6 month old is getting his teeth in really fast. when his first 2 came in he bit a few times, and then i got him to stop by saying "ouch!" and stopping the feeding for a few moments. he has 4 teeth now, and more are coming in quickly, without giving my poor little guy a break. with this, the biting has returned, and he won't stop no matter what i do. this morning he drew blood! i don't know what to do, and fear i am raising a little vampire! lol help me please!!!!

thanks!

Default Re: Won't stop biting!

my daughter is almost 6 months but no teeth yet. When she is teething though...ouch!!! I just keep my finger close to her mouth and insert it at the first sign that she will bite down and it really helps. my friend also used this method and she bf untill her little one was 15 months. hope this helps.

Perhaps some info on these pages would help:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bite.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

The most important thing you can do is watch him nursing. Baby can't bite if he's actively nursing. Keep a finger ready to break the suction, and keep an eye out for tension building in the jaw (a sure sign that clamping down is coming next).

When my dd was biting uncontrollably, I used to gently pinch her cheek when she bit me, increasing pressure as she did. she stopped biting after 2 days, never to start again. (until that fateful day at age 2y 7mo when she accidentally bit part of my nipple off, never to nurse again!!)

Quote Originally Posted by majikfaerie
    (until that fateful day at age 2y 7mo when she accidentally bit part of my nipple off, never to nurse again!!)

OW! that hurt me =/ I don't ever remember my oldest child ever biting me *thank god* hope things get better for u