Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to get more hindmilk

Default how to get more hindmilk

I've been noticing that my 2 month old has been really gassy lately, is hungry pretty often, and has green stool. I read that it may be due to too much foremilk. I also did notice my cream layer in my bottles are pretty thin. How can I increase the hind milk? Do I pump the first 5 minute and dump it? I feel sort of wasteful doing that but if it helps...

Default Re: how to get more hindmilk

Do you only pump, or does your LO nurse as well? If your LO nurses, you can do what is called block feeding. (feed on the same side for a couple feedings to ensure the fatty hind milk is reached). This will also help to get your supply down to a manageable level, if you feel you have too much milk.
    I have no advice for pumping, however, I wouldn't dump it! Freeze it to save for mixing with foods later on.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: how to get more hindmilk

i actually don't feel like i have too much milk. i don't know why, but my post was moved from pumping to here. i pump almost exclusively since LO got used to bottle in the NICU. I try breastfeeding when she's in a good mood. (She doesn't like my flow, esp when i spray during letdown.)