Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should I be getting at each pump session?

Default How much should I be getting at each pump session?

Hi,

My LO is 16 days old. The LC I was working with in the hospital told me to pump 8 times a day (bf is not working well, so I am pumping) for 15 minutes each time.

How much milk should I be getting either at each 15 minute pumping session or in total for the day????

I seem to be getting around 30ml (I think that's 1 oz) each pump session (around 15ml from each breast), but get more in the morning (around 60ml).

Also, if the pedi has us feeding her 2-3oz of formula per feeding (every 2.5 hours) and I manage to pump 1oz of bm, shouldn't I give her the 1oz of bm & 1-2oz of formula to total 2-3oz of food?

Long story, but she is on the feeding schedule and I am on the pumping schedule b/c she was severly underweight. She also does not wake up on her own to feed, we have to wake her up. She will sleep through the entire day if we let her!!

Thanks,
    Fay
    LO: Faith
    birth: 2/4/08 6.8lbs
    d/c: 2/6/08 6.1lbs
    2/8/08 4.8lbs
    2/11/08 6.3lbs
    2/15/08 6.4lbs
    2/18/08 6.89lbs

Default Re: How much should I be getting at each pump session?

I would think you would want to be giving her the pumped bm instead of (or at least before the formula). Are you planning on trying to get baby back to the breast? If so perhaps you could nurse first and then offer pumped bm and monitor her diaper output and weight to see how that goes. What tyoe of pump are you using? If you are not using one already maybe a hospital grade double pump would help get more milk out. I am sure someone else who knows more about supplementing will be here soon to help.

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I am attempting bf before pumping or bottle feeding and I am giving her the pumped breast milk before the formula. I am using a hospital grade double pump (Ameda Elite). I just pumped (2nd time today) and got 35ml out of each breast.

Fay

heres a great link form kelly moms that talks about how to pump when baby isn't nursing any at the breast
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

it says
    aim for pumping 800-950 mL (27-32 oz) by 14 days postpartum.

lots of babies don't regain thier birth weight untill they are 2 weeks old.
    Did you have a iv during labor?
    many newborns need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours to get the weight gain they need.
    what are her wets and poops like? with the supliment
    If your goal is to get the baby nursing only at the breast we can talk more
    or call your local leader shes around to listen and help.

Hmmm. Seems like the doctor may have really set up a situation where your milk supply is going to suffer. You are supplementing quite a bit, yet you are making milk.... How do you feel baby is doing at removing milk from your breast? Is there any reason the dr did not suggest a lactaid or other form of deliver besides a bottle? Supplementing through a means that provides nipple stimulation will help your milk production. http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html#Video%20Clips I would go here and check out the lactation aid video.
    When you pump you are doing compressions? What type of pump?

Quote Originally Posted by fuzybunnyslippers View Post
    My LO is 16 days old. The LC I was working with in the hospital told me to pump 8 times a day (bf is not working well, so I am pumping) for 15 minutes each time.
    Is milk still coming when you turn the pump off, fuzy?

You might find this video helpful. It's a demonstration of how to maximize milk production when pumping:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Also, if the pedi has us feeding her 2-3oz of formula per feeding (every 2.5 hours) and I manage to pump 1oz of bm, shouldn't I give her the 1oz of bm & 1-2oz of formula to total 2-3oz of food?
    It makes sense that if you're pumping enough for the feeding, that could be used and the formula supplement would be for making up the difference. I would suggest checking with the pediatrician to be sure of his recommendation.

also does not wake up on her own to feed, we have to wake her up.
    So, she is still very sleepy, fuzy? Is she jaundiced at all?

Is there any improvement in frequency or duration of latching? Can you tell us a bit more about how things are going now?

I just pumped (2nd time today) and got 35ml out of each breast.
    That's a good improvement! It's recommended to aim for an output of 25-30 ounces per 24 hours. So, let's see what we can do to help you get there.

The information in the video I posted earlier is a great start. I would also suggest adding another pumping session or two per 24 hours. OR simply leave the pump set up and pump for an additional 5 minutes or so whenever you get the chance. A similar concept is to pick an hour per day and pump for 10, rest for 10 for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in one hour (in addition to your other pumping sessions). Any of the above mimics "frequency days" and will help you to increase your production over time.