Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I drain my brests by pumping?

Default Should I drain my brests by pumping?

My 8-week old is sleeping longer at night but my breasts become very engorged when he's sleeping, cant last for more than 4 hours (from the time of last feed). Should I drian my breasts by pumping before going to sleep. would that increase my milk supply as i have too much already.

Default Re: Should I drain my brests by pumping?

Pumping enough to completely drain your breasts will increase your milk supply. However, you can pump just enough to relieve the painful feeling of engorgement without risking a major increase in your supply. If you do nothing, and can just put up with the nighttime discomfort, your supply will probably self-regulate in short order. Mine did in under a week.

Unless you are trying to build a freezer stash, I wouldn't pump before bed. You're right, you body will continue to make the amount you pump that your baby doesn't need at that time. It is best to just express enough to make yourself comfortable, but leave your breasts "full" so that you body gets the message to make less milk. It will probably take a few days of doing this, but it will get better. It might mean expressing during the night. Some moms find that it's easier to take off just enough without getting too much by hand expressing rather than pumping.

Guess we were posting at the same time.

It will not always be this way. Atleast it was not for me. Now I wish I had built a freezer stash when I was having more. In the earlier months I was battling to cut down the supply so my daughter would not choke or cought while feeding. Now after 51/2 months I pump at work and it takes forever to express 2 oz.

It is nice to have a good stash in the freezer. I read that if you have a deep freezer it is safe for upto 6 months or so.

All the advice so far is great and I agree about maybe building yourself a wee freezer stash 2 oz at a time if you can but not getting carried away with the pumping and compound your engorgement.

Also, while your breasts will self regulate so will your baby I remember fondly those 2 month old sleeping from 8pm till 2 am times.

I'd give my right arm to have them back rather than our current pattern with Mr. Hey!I'veBeenAsleepFor45MinutesLetsParty 9 month old.

GREAT to hear that it will regulate 'cause i wake up at night with HUGE breasts .... waiting for him to wake up to feed ...

relating to this topic ... if i want to start stashing some milk, how will i know when to express without influencing my supply?

Cool Re: Should I drain my brests by pumping?

Thanks for all the tips and reassurance. I have heard that my body will self regulate but i feel so tired... its has been a few weeks and my breast are still engoreged, extremly uncomfortable after 3 to 4 hours. i cant "survive" longer than that. I tried pumping 20 to 30 seconds to relieve discomfort but it doesnt help much. I think my milk ducts are now blocked on one breasts due to the engorgment at night. My bb doesnt need milk from both breasts when he wake up to feed and i dont know what to do with the other breast full of milk.