Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much does a 9 MO Need??

Default How much does a 9 MO Need??

Hi! My 9MO LO usually eats a small portion of fruit and vegetable for dinner and a fruit puree for breakfast (sometimes mixed with oatmeal). Sometimes, we even skip the breakfast. LO has also seemed to be nursing a little less lately. Is a decrease in demand normal for this age??? How much do we really need to be relying on solids for nourishment at this age??? She is gaining well (just over 2 pounds last month) and seems content... I just don't get this whole solids thing, and can't seem to get into a routine with it because BF has been such a successful experience for us. I know I want to begin to practice a somewhat "organized" solids schedule. Any Advice on when, how, what, and how much???

Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: How much does a 9 MO Need??

First of all, you are doing a great job! As long as you are nursing on demand, the solids are only for experimentation for the first year. My daughter just started eating solids at 10 months (she actually only gained 3 ounces between 6 months and 9 months) and she is perfectly happy and content. Now she is 11 months and I give her 3 meals. Yogurt for breakfast, a jar of Earth's Best Organic food for lunch, and then whatever we are eating for dinner. Follow her lead and be patient. She will settle in to a schedule eventually. I started with just breakfast for few weeks, then added dinner, and then finally added a small lunch. It can be so confusing, but evenutally you ease into it and find your groove.

It sounds like you're doing just fine. As the PP said, solids are nutritionally valuable, but not nutritionally necessary in the first year. They're just for new tastes and textures and new motor skills!

If your plan is to wean at 1 year or thereabouts, you may want to try to get your daughter eating solids on a more regular basis. If you're okay with nursing longer- and as someone who is nursing a 2 year old I highly recommend it- then you can just relax and let your baby lead the way.

Since you do want her on more of a schedule, how about just popping her in her highchair during meals and putting a few finger foods on her tray? She may surprise you and eat a lot, or she may just play. (Expect a mess! )
    Last edited by Momma1; February 21st, 2008 at 05:55 AM.

My dd is almost 9 months and we just started solids a few weeks ago.. we aren't really on a sch either.. but she pretty much wants to eat when we eat... she is usually sleeping when we dinner so she mostly eats breakfast or lunch.. not enough to consider a meal though. I just do what someone else said.. when she whines to eat when we are eating I usually plop her in the highchair and giver her finger foods or she sits on dh or I's lap and eats off our plate. I never give her solids if she is super hungry though ( i nurse her instead).. usually she ends up eating in between nursing sessions. She still nurses 8-9 times a day.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Ds will be nine months next week. He eats one meal in the morning and one in the evening. I'm going to start giving him a mid-day meal soon in the next week or two. (We're updating the kitchen and I make ds's food, so things are a little chaotic.) I imagine that when this happens, one of our nursing sessions will disappear.

We nurse anywhere between 4 to 6 times in the day, then once or twice at night. For his meals of solids, (I still nurse before he eats in his chair) he has two cubes of thawed pureé, which is about 2 tablespoons each, and then some chunks of whatever's around, ie. sweet potato, bnsquash, banana, etc. Bon appetit!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Thanks! I DO plan to BF continue past 1, so I won't rush it! Also, can you give me some more finger foods ideas...she has no teeth!

my dd only has 2 teeth.. she can gum most soft foods..... soft cooked veggies, carrots, peas, green beans, rice, ww or rice pasta, fruit cut up, cereals like rice crispies or organic O's or cheerois, shredded cheese or cottage cheese, chicken, beef, tofu chunks... grated pears, apples...
    soft things- avoid things that don't disolve or can't be gummed down.. like apple- sometimes if I am afraid she will choke on something.. like a black bean - i smash it between my fingers first and then put it in her mouth.,

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by bellasmama View Post
    Thanks! I DO plan to BF continue past 1, so I won't rush it! Also, can you give me some more finger foods ideas...she has no teeth!
    We're starting slowly with finger foods. So far we've just sweet potato and bnsquash. Also on the menu are banana-you'd think this kid is a monkey as much as he loves bananas- and avocado. These squish in the mouth easily and slide down the throat. Ds loves them! Best of all, I can make the pieces as small as I'm comfortable giving by just using my hands. (no knife).
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!