Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it true??

Question Is it true??

A friend said that I should practice pumping before the baby gets here, that way I am used to the feeling and am more relaxed when the baby starts feeding. I am due in 4 weeks. Should I do this? Is it safe?

Default Re: Is it true??

I would NOT do this as nipple stimulation can cause contractions and early labor. There is nothing you need to do to prep breasts or nipples for breastfeeding

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I would NOT do this as nipple stimulation can cause contractions and early labor. There is nothing you need to do to prep breasts or nipples for breastfeeding

When I was pregnant I would dry my nipples roughly with a towel after my shower (I'd hold the towel across my breasts and rub it back and forth 5 or 6 times) because someone told me that helped to callous them. I don't know if it's true or not, but I really didn't have a lot of nipple pain when I started nursing. I really couldn't say if it was because of the toweling or not, though, my mom didn't have a lot of pain either, so I might just be lucky that way.

I do know it can be dangerous to pump that close to you due date, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

to back up what the others have said I would not do that at ALL as it would put you at risk for early delivery. I have breastfed 3 babies well past the one year point (one I nursed just a month shy of 2 years) I am going on the 3 month mark with my newest addition and I never did anything like that. Sounds like your friend isn't very educated about breastfeeding and even pregnancy as that little piece of advice could result in labor. Pumping is no where remotely like a baby's suckle so pumping for hours on end isn't going to be no where near the same as a baby latching onto the breast.

I agree with PP. What I would practice is putting the pump together. I still had mine in the box when I got engorged a few days after delivery. I was very full, uncomfortable, dripping milk, and trying desparately to figure out how to put the pump together to relieve the engorgement. Maybe you are more mechanically inclined than me, but it was a struggle!

I would NOT use the pump. I tried out our pump, knowing that nipple stimulation could bring on labor, but I did not think that the few minutes I did could bring it on..... two days later my water broke. Use with caution. You will be pumping enough after your LO is born, I would not want to start any sooner then you have to!!

Good luck.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

When I delivered DD2, I started BF her in the L&D itself. I think that's what helped establish our breastfeeding with little trouble. Don't wait, if you can help it. The quicker you put the baby to the breast the more successful you'll be at BF.
    Unfortunately I wasn't that educated about BF during my first LO. And hence had major problems with latch, mastitis, etc. Had to pump & bottle feed my DD1.
    HTH!

wow... thanks... how early were you? Did everything turn out okay?

If you are interest in what breastfeeding (at least kind of) feels like, pulling on your earlobe is a similar sensation to the tugging of your baby's suck.

If you're interested in a good comprehensive read to help you get ready, I really like Breastfeeding Made Simple: The Seven Natural Laws of Breastfeeding. I wish I would have read it before DS was born. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is also a good read, particularly for the mothering aspect of bfing.