Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eating more at night

Cool eating more at night

My 3 month old has recently developed this pattern of eating more at night than during the day. During the day, the only time he'll nurse for a reasonable amount of time is if it's been like 4 hours since the last feed. At other times, he'll keep pulling off then going on. Off and on, off and on in quick succession. Or he'll just suck 4 or 5 times, pull off, and really fight me if I try to force him back on. First, this is weird because it was only a few weeks ago that he was still eating about every 2.5 hours. And second, it's weird and frustrating because now at night he is sleeping an initial span of about 5 hours, eats really well, and then he wakes up every two hours after that and just guzzles. He used to wake up sometime between 1 and 2am and then just once more around 4:30 and he'd just suck for a while and quickly fall asleep. At first I thought it was because he was so overtired during the day that it was effecting his eating (we were really struggling with naps). But yesterday I got him to take a few 1.5 hour naps by sleeping with him and nursing him back to sleep when he woke up at that dang 40 minute mark. But he still didn't eat that well during the day and he also did the frequent night waking thing. So my question is why is he doing this and is there anyway to change it so he gets more of what he needs during the day?

Default Re: eating more at night

In a word -- distractibility!

Around 3 months of age, a baby's neurological maturation suddenly makes them "plug in" to the world around them. Things that they would previously sleep or nurse through suddenly start distracting them. It can be intense at first, and very frustrating for mom. On a very bad day at the height of my son's distractibility, I came close to weaning him -- I was that tired of fighting him onto the breast only to have him yank my nipple half a foot when he turned his head to watch the dog yawn.

Distractibility is preventing your son from nursing much during the day, and so he is making up for it at night, when he is sleepy and everything is dark and quiet.

The more you can make his surrounding dark and quiet during the day (at least during feedings), the easier daytime nursing will be. But to some extent, you'll probably just have to weather through this, and wait for him to grow up a little more and develop some "sense" about nursing through distractions.

--Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca! It hadn't occured to me that that's what my 3 mo old DS has been doing lately! He still sleeps well at night but when he's eating during the day it's OFF and ON, OFF and ON. It's been driving me nuts!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

At around 3 months my son started the same thing. He is on the same exact pattern as your baby. I have found myself going to the bedroom to nurse him, so he isn't looking around the room at every noise downstairs. It is frustrating, but so far tolerable.

Thanks Rebecca. I was lol when I read about the dog yawning. And I guess from the sound of what the others posted, my son is right on track developmentally! I feel much better now.