Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamins and constant daily feedings question

Default Vitamins and constant daily feedings question

Hi all! I'm relatively new to the board and just had my second daughter on Jan 17. She is adorable and has known the difference between day and night for about two weeks now.

My daughter loves to feed all morning (I get about a 20 minute break every hour) and about every hour and half to two for lunch and dinner. But she only wakes for one feeding a night if at all. I sometimes wake up very full and sore but that definitely goes away after the morning feed. She started out cluster feeding right at birth because she fell asleep at the breast and I would have to wake her. Now she will stop but only for a few seconds to a minute at best. Is this normal? I also sometimes feel like she isn't getting enough even though she has plenty of dirty and wet diapers and has also gained a good amount of weight.

Her doctor has suggested that I either give her vitamins every day or give her some formula on a daily basis (like a bottle feeding everyday). She says that it's a good idea for supplements if a baby is either almost exclusively breast fed or is exclusively breast fed.

Has anyone run into this with vitamins or the feeding schedule? It's hard to get anything besides feeding her done. I feel bad because I sometimes can't even put on a day outfit for her until it's the afternoon and it's the same with bath time-- real hard to make a schedule for that too. I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Kimberley B

Default Re: Vitamins and constant daily feedings question

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley B View Post
    Hi all! I'm relatively new to the board and just had my second daughter on Jan 17. She is adorable and has known the difference between day and night for about two weeks now.

My daughter loves to feed all morning (I get about a 20 minute break every hour) and about every hour and half to two for lunch and dinner. But she only wakes for one feeding a night if at all. I sometimes wake up very full and sore but that definitely goes away after the morning feed. She started out cluster feeding right at birth because she fell asleep at the breast and I would have to wake her. Now she will stop but only for a few seconds to a minute at best. Is this normal? I also sometimes feel like she isn't getting enough even though she has plenty of dirty and wet diapers and has also gained a good amount of weight.
    hi and welcome to the forum!
    congratulations on your new baby, it looks like you are doing well, breastfeeding her on demand, baby having wet/dirty diapers, and gaining weight. I'm not sure I understand what your concern is, is she only feeding for a few minutes? is this what is worrying you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley B View Post
    Her doctor has suggested that I either give her vitamins every day or give her some formula on a daily basis (like a bottle feeding everyday). She says that it's a good idea for supplements if a baby is either almost exclusively breast fed or is exclusively breast fed.

Has anyone run into this with vitamins or the feeding schedule? It's hard to get anything besides feeding her done. I feel bad because I sometimes can't even put on a day outfit for her until it's the afternoon and it's the same with bath time-- real hard to make a schedule for that too. I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Kimberley B
    I'm afraid your doctor is not well informed on lactation issues. A baby who is exclusively breastfed and thriving, like your baby is, does not need a formula supplement at all. Introducing formula, especially this early on, may disrupt your milk supply and even cause nipple confusion for the baby, so it is not a good idea at all. As for vitamins, "The womanly art of breastfeeding" says:

"Vitamin supplements are not routinely recommended for a breastfed baby. If the nursing mother gets an adequate supply of vitamins from her diet, her milk will have an adequate supply of vitamins, in just the right proportions for her baby." "As long as your baby is thriving on your milk alone, he has no need for additional vitamins, iron, fluoride or other supplements in the early months".

As for a feeding schedule, it is not a good idea either. New babies have very tiny tummies and need to feed very frequently. You are doing the right thing, following your baby's cues and feeding her whenever she needs too. As she gets older she'll need to nurse less often and things will settle a bit, and a 'routine' will naturally develop.

I hope this helps, let us know if you've got further doubts!
    Take care

I have read quite a bit about breastfeeding and I have never read anythng about supplementing being good for breastfeeding....I think I have read that it is a good way to cause problems with supply. My pediatrician never said anything like that to me and I exclusively breastfeed. Unless there are signs that the baby is not getting enough, I personally would not supplement, unless it was something I wanted to do for convenience, etc.
    Maybe your pediatrician is old fashioned, as I think that may have been advice given out before more research was done on breastfeeding.

Our newborns have the same birthday!

Congrats on the baby!

As far as what the Dr. said, I agree with the pp's. I don't agree with the supplementation for vitamins, you are giving her the best that no man-made vitamins could match. My bf experience with DS is completely different than it was with DD. I'm lucky to get to the bathroom a few times a day with two kids and one eating ALL the time! Don't push too hard for a set routine with the LO just yet. It's still so early on and they are so young. Hang in there!
    Last edited by Sherri H.; February 21st, 2008 at 10:52 AM.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

You've been given some great feedback thus far (except from your doc ) and all I can offer is some nice links to supplement the info

Does my baby need vitamins?

and just somthing else that might interest you.

Do I need vitamins?

DRI of vitamins for women aged 19-50 (for pregnancy, lactation, et cetera)

If you're worried she's not getting enough - the best way to tell is by her output. Here's a link with more info on that.

For a baby less than 6 wks.

For a baby older than 6 wks.
    Last edited by Number3; February 21st, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Smile Re: Vitamins and constant daily feedings question

Thank you all so much for your replies! I've had been feeling a bit insecure about my DD getting too many vitamins like A (which can be fatal I've heard) and I was worried about her getting enough milk because of her cluster feedings. I think this doctor wanted to have me and her on vitamins because of my Fibromyalgia condition, but even that doesn't make too much sense either. My diet has to be pure-- I can't eat out or eat anything from a box that is processed because of my sensitivity to chemicals and preservatives in processed foods. So I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, chicken, fish (that is wild caught), and unbleached, unenriched flours (like King Arthur). I'm glad to know that I'm doing the best I can for my little one and that everything seems "normal". Thanks so much again for all the replies. It means a lot to me! Chat with you all soon.

Kimberley B