Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Feeding preemie- should they be on a feeding sched?

Default Help! Feeding preemie- should they be on a feeding sched?

I am a loving nanny who is caring for an infant who was born 26 weeks early and weighed 2 pounds. She is 4 months according to birth time and 7 in preemie term. They want the baby to be on a feeding/sleeping schedule consisting of 3 1hour naps a day and 3 feedings of 5 oz. a day too. This concerns me so much and I am unsure what if anything I should do. I am not a fan of scheduling a baby and I didn't with my children. They ate when they were hungry and slept when they were tired. They were not born prematurely. The baby isn't responding well to the schedule she's hungry throughout the day and she likes to 'snack' during the day even though she drinks more right after her naps. She is also tired more often too. Her mom is very sleep deprived and desperate to get her to sleep during the night- I completely understand that. I am not able to help over night because of my own family and her husband doesn't help at night either.
    I want to help this family - I care for them especially baby- so please tell me if I should butt in or butt out and if you can suggest where I can find written info on this subject too.
    thanks-T.

Default Help! Feeding preemie- should they be on a feeding sched?

I am a loving nanny who is caring for an infant who was born 26 weeks early and weighed 2 pounds. She is 4 months according to birth time and 7 in preemie term. They want the baby to be on a feeding/sleeping schedule consisting of 3 1hour naps a day and 3 feedings of 5 oz. a day too. This concerns me so much and I am unsure what if anything I should do. I am not a fan of scheduling a baby and I didn't with my children. They ate when they were hungry and slept when they were tired. They were not born prematurely. The baby isn't responding well to the schedule she's hungry throughout the day and she likes to 'snack' during the day even though she drinks more right after her naps. She is also tired more often too. Her mom is very sleep deprived and desperate to get her to sleep during the night- I completely understand that. I am not able to help over night because of my own family and her husband doesn't help at night either.
    I want to help this family - I care for them especially baby- so please tell me if I should butt in or butt out and if you can suggest where I can find written info on this subject too.
    thanks-T.

Default Re: Help! Feeding preemie- should they be on a feeding sched?

Baby only gets fed three times a day?! Is that what you are saying? That doesn't seem right to me. What is baby eating? Where did this schedule come from? did the parents make it up, or is this what the doctor said? I have no ideas, but I hope someone else will come along soon.

I don't have any experience with preemies, but I share the same feelings about letting the baby decide when to eat and sleep. I think there are recommended times baby should go between feedings just to make sure baby eats often enough (Probably for new worried mommy's needing reassurance their babies are eating enough). I would be a bad nanny (in her house) cause I'd follow the ques of the baby even if I were directed to keep baby on a strict schedule. It seems like the mom may be under a lot of stress and feeling like she doesn't have any help through the night may be wieghing on her. If I were you I would offer the advice you have, after all, you are looking out for the best interest of the baby, she can't get mad at you for that. Besides only taking 3 1 hour naps and eating every 3 hours isn't going to make baby sleep through the night. I hope things work out for you. I can tell you're very concerned about the baby. I'm sorry I'm not much help.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Quote Originally Posted by mommajoliska View Post
    Baby only gets fed three times a day?! Is that what you are saying? That doesn't seem right to me. What is baby eating? Where did this schedule come from? did the parents make it up, or is this what the doctor said? I have no ideas, but I hope someone else will come along soon.
    Are the parents of the baby dense? I can't justify their schedule in a way shape or form? I can't sympathize with people like the parents of this baby who seemed to be much more concerned with their needs than that of their child. Sleep deprivation is part of being a mommy, especially of a preemie or young baby. I could see if the baby was two that this schedule may work...

Babies' success at feeding and sleeping is important to their health. Most premature babies need 8 to 10 feedings a day with no more than 4 hours between each feeding - any longer and the baby may become dehydrated. Six to eight wet diapers per day show that the baby is getting enough breast milk or formula. You should expect your preemie to sleep more than a full-term baby, but to sleep for shorter intervals. All babies, including preemies, should be put to sleep on their backs to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

http://www.babycenter.com/0_breastfe...babies_8480.bc
    http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...fants/283.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Not much to add really but my son was born 3.5 weeks early and was small. 5 lb 4 oz so the Dr. suggested I feed him every 2.5 hours and let him feed as long as he wanted; which was usually 30-45 min per side. Sometimes it was less than 2.5 hrs but it was never more --even if I had to wake him. Once he was gaining steadily I backed off of that and did around every 3 hrs but I never waited for him to cry for food since I am SAHM and my mom was here to help with household chores, I was able to respond very quickly. Maybe since you are helping she could do the same? Good luck.
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

I know in the NICU, babies are kept on a 3 hour schedule of feeding, but once my son came home, I got rid of the schedule. Nurses do it as they have many babies to care for in the NICU so that's why they stick to a schedule (plus NICU babies shouldn't be disturbed very often because it stresses them out). At 4 months corrected, it would be ideal for your little one should be fed on demand. If she's fed when she's hungry, then she'll learn to respond to her hunger cues. Plus it may help her sleep as she won't be hungry in the middle of nap and better sleep will help her sleep at night too.

Hope you're able to get her off of the imposed schedule and on to her own.

Smile Re: Help! Feeding preemie- should they be on a feeding sched?

Thank you all so much for caring and taking the time to respond. I will be able to take your advice and do the right thing. Thank you-Thank you! Tina

Quote Originally Posted by jaki.my.ny View Post
    Are the parents of the baby dense? I can't justify their schedule in a way shape or form?
    This was totally off base. Insulting the parents will not help the baby.

I also disagree with the parents, but as a mom of preemies, I can see how this schedule came about. Also, I assumed that the nanny has the child for about 9 hours, and feeding 3 times is every 3 hours, which is what the preemie is used to from the NICU. Even as an experienced, nurse on demand, momma, it was hard to let go of the schedule that the twins were on (for only 6 days!).

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

[QUOTE=jaki.my.ny;445473] I can't justify their schedule in a way shape or form? I can't sympathize with people like the parents of this baby who seemed to be much more concerned with their needs than that of their child. Sleep deprivation is part of being a mommy, especially of a preemie or young baby. I could see if the baby was two that this schedule may work.QUOTE]

My son was at the nicu for a while as well and instead of needing to be fed every 3 hours it was two. Early on I had a hard time waking up if I fell asleep so I didn't sleep for nearly a week but I didn't say my son will eat when I say bc it was hard. I had my hubby help and it was hard but children are not made to a parents convinience. It's not going to be hard forever, and making your child upset will not help, thinking of them first will. If a parent chooses not to listen to their childs needs then woe is to them. How can I say poor, poor mama, even when I was in her place my son's needs came first.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!