Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy at Night

Default Fussy at Night

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a fussy baby at night. It seems like little Jack has his days and nights switched around. During the day, he sleeps pretty good until we wake him or vice versa for feedings, roughly 2-3 hours. Lately he gives all the signs he wants to eat, but when he latches onto the breast, it's only 5 or 6 minutes before he wants to dose off. We try gently nudging him and blowing gently in his face to keep him going, but sometimes he just wants no more. Then, less than an hour later he gives hunger signs and will feed again, maybe 10 minutes or so, then dose off. I know this message seems rambling, but want to throw some things out there for anyone with advice. Oh yeah, at night we have the bassinet right next to our bed. We try swaddling him in when he's tired, but when we put him in the bassinet, within 5 minutes he starts stirring around. Eventually he will start to cry, so we take him out and lay him on the bed. I don't want to spoil him, but he has yet to sleep a full night in the bassinet. Any suggestions??

Default Re: Fussy at Night

The early days are a big adjustment. Try to remember that it is not that long ago that Jack was still in the womb never being hungry, cold, alone, etc. He heard your wife's heartbeat and was rocked to sleep by her movements. It is a big adjustment for a little baby to make.

I would not worry about spoiling him. In those first few weeks (months, even) I was in survival mode. You do what you have to do for the whole family to get rest.

If you think he has his days and nights mixed up you can try making sure he gets lots of natural light to reset his circadian rhythm. During the day open all the blinds, if its warm enough take him for a walk in the fresh air. In the evening start dimming the lights and quieting the house down. During the night nursings keep it very dark and quiet.

Some things we tried with the bassinet (before finally accepting full-time co-sleeping in our bed) was having me nap/rest on the bassinet sheet to try to get it to smell like me. We also put a heating pad on the bassinet and removed it prior to placing our son in there. This way it was nice and warm (not too hot!) when he went in. Babies have very light sleep as a protective mechanism. Holding Jack for 20 minutes or so after he falls asleep can ensure that he is in the deepest part of his sleep cycle when you put him down. And really, who doesn't love holding a sweet-smelling newborn on their chest for 20 minutes?

I really think the thing that helped me the most was learning how to nurse laying down. It meant less disruptions for all of us.

Good luck!

Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; February 19th, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thank you so much for the advice. My wife and I have found that having Jack lay next to her is the best alternative right now. It's easier for her to nurse in the middle of the night when he fusses, but still a little scary for me at night because i'm afraid one of us will roll on him. I like your advice to try and switch his internal clock and will give it a shot tomorrow.

I have found that there is not one sleep solution so early on. Ari, who is 2 months sleeps in his bassinet, his pack n play, his crib, with us, on my chest whil I rock him, in his infant seat, in his swing, etc. I think so early on, you are not "setting bad habits" or "spoiling him" because infants are not advanced enough to be able to do any of those things, as they are just figuring out how the world works. I have read that habits, etc. cannot really begin to form until they are at least 6 months, so up to then I think it really is about doing what works so that you can get as much sleep as possible. I also think some babies go to sleep in a crib/bassinet easier than others and that it will happen when the baby is ready. We have found that often Ari will fall asleep being rocked and will sleep in the bassinet or infant seat the first few stretches of sleep and then around 3-4AM when he is starting to have trouble getting back to sleep he will sleep with us the last hour or two. I also have read that during the day, it makes sense for some to put the baby down in the crib or bassinet so that he will get used to sleeping that way when you are able to handle him waking up so much and then at night just do what works to get him to get as much sleep as possible...Good luck!
    Last edited by dhnash; February 20th, 2008 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
    Thank you so much for the advice. My wife and I have found that having Jack lay next to her is the best alternative right now. It's easier for her to nurse in the middle of the night when he fusses, but still a little scary for me at night because i'm afraid one of us will roll on him. I like your advice to try and switch his internal clock and will give it a shot tomorrow.
    Mothers have a wonderful instinct about where their children are. Just like your wife won't roll out of bed, she won't roll on your child. There are some safety precautions you should take though. No one should sleep in the bed if they are on any sort of drugs, sleeping medications, alcohol, or if they have been smoking. For us, we found that my husband did not have the instinct that I have (I have been elbowed in the head by DH before while he was asleep ) So we had the co-sleeper, then me, then DH. So the baby was not between DH and I. Now that we don't have the co-sleeper, our son sleeps between the wall and me. Just be sure there are no gaps in the bed. Also keep all loose blankets and pillows away from the baby. In the early days what worked for me was to scoot lower down when I wasnt nursing and be level with my son's head. Then I could have the blankets up to my waist with no worry of him being near them.

HTH
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)