Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation at 4 weeks

Default Relactation at 4 weeks

My dd is 4 weeks old today. My milk supply is almost gone I think. I dont seem to see any leaks when in the shower which is when I used to see them. And my breast pads have very few drops in them. I want to breast feed my dd but I am getting scared and a little disapointed in myself. I am looking into renting a medela classic or another hospital grade breast pump, will that help? Also the cost of renting a breast pump comes to about the same as buying a medela in style. Is it imortant to have a hospital grade pump when trying to bring up my milk supply/relactating? I would love all the advice I can get on getting started. Thanks

Default Re: Relactation at 4 weeks

I read through your other posts. You have been on a pretty tough ride. I went through a similar situation with the jaundice and my baby not latching right.

1) Have you been to a lactation consultant to find out how to help baby get the best possible latch?

2) Can you get rid of the bottles and feed using an SNS (supplemental nursing system). The Lactation consultant can get you one, and also WIC has them.

3) You need a HOSPITAL GRADE pump. (And a Pump-n-Style is not a hospital grade pump). The Symphony, Classic, or Lactina are the Medela brand hospital grade pumps. Only a hospital grade pump is designed to increase milk.

4) Feed baby at the breast often. Double pump after every feeding. Feed at the breast and pump at night, too. Don't let your body go unstimulated at night. (This alone will decrease supply.)

5) Hormone levels are on your side, still. You will be able to increase milk in a matter of weeks, with diligence and continued commitment.

When you feel like quitting, just remember this is a temporary situation. It will get better in the very near future. Keep up the hard work and you will get back your milk and be able to nurse your baby as you had hoped.

Thank you. Today I made an appointment to see a lactation consultant tomorrow, and to rent a hospital grade breast pump. I will keep you all posted on how its going......oh and
    When my dd nurses it isnt painful and she seems to be doing good but after she is done my nipple feels like it is on fire. I will have to ask the lactation consultant if there is something I can do for that. Any suggestions from you guys?

Is the nipple white colored, or misshapen when you remove it?

No it looks a little pinkish red but yes it does look a little misshapen.