Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How quickly can baby nurse?

Default How quickly can baby nurse?

I had problems with bf right from the get go and went to see a LC. I was supplementing with a lactation aid and have weaned her. They used to weigh baby pre and post and was getting about 2.5 oz. She is now 11 weeks old but only seems to swallow about 5 mins each side, although will stay on for about 10-15 with non-nutritive sucking. She feeds every 2 hours and sleeps about 5 + 2.5 hours at night. Is it possible for her to get enough in 10 mins of sucking? I don't want to get too tied up in weights again bc if she does a little snack feed only I will start to doubt myself again and want to supplement again. Help please!

Default Re: How quickly can baby nurse?

Yes, it is definitely possible that she could be getting what she needs in that amount of time. Maybe you could have her weighed, then check the weight again in a week just to reassure yourself? I assume that her output is in the normal range of 5-6 wets and 2-3 dirties?

I agree with the pp, check the diaper output if your'e ever concerned. Here's a reference card for babies older than 6 weeks. But this is a common question. After the baby gets to be a few months old they just get quicker at it.

As babies get older and better at nursing, they become more efficient at extracting milk.
    from Is your milk supply really low?

Hope that helps.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Mine was the same way, she would only eat for 5 min, then fall asleep. I would try to keep her awake, but couldn't. I agree with the pp. Count the wet diapers, and as long as there's weight gain, baby should be fine. I would keep LO on one side per feeding also to make sure she's getting the hindmilk. Mine is a chub and she still only eats for 5min sometimes.

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!

Thanks. I went on domperidone initially and am weaning that. She does have at least 6 wets but only dirties (orangey) every few days. She is a fussy baby with no patience so she won't work for another letdown

Most def.! At that age my son only ate for about 5-10min then would pass out. It wasn't until he got older that he would eat for a lot longer

I didn't worry about it bc some docs said oh they have to eat 15min on each side and some said some eat faster than other so its the weight that matters. I'm with the latter!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

OK so I just got her weighed and NO weight gain, not even 1/2 ounce in 15 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The public health nurse says this is fine but I am not convinced, she is not happy ever! She cries constantly.

That would worry me too.

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!