Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painful gas?

Question painful gas?

Our lo is not fussy often enough to be "colicky", but kind of grunts when she fusses sometimes, almost like she's trying to pass gas and can't. I know she's not constipated, her poop is still normal consistency. I'm thinking she's got lower gas that bothers her, but I try changing her positions, bicycling her legs, rubbing her tummy and it doesn't seem to help. Any way to know if it really is gas bothering her or if she's just cranky? If it is gas, any suggestions? I've tried baby gas-x, which does seem to help some, but I'm hesitant to give it to her too often.

Default Re: painful gas?

anyone have any thoughts on this?

If it is gas, you should be able to tell by her passing it where you think there is a dirty diaper or by some extra spitting up, at least that's how I can tell with DS. I give him mylicon (sp?) and you can't OD your kid on it, it's safe. With DD I always worried about giving too much, but I don't think following the directions with gas meds are giving too much. I know when I have gas I'm a bear, so I do want to help give relief to my LO.
    From previous experience with DD, and realizing it with DS again, they usually hit a pretty gassy stage around 3 weeks of age. I don't know how old your LO is, but she might be in it, or she could just be getting it a bit from anything new you might have been eating.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Do alot of the bicycle with your LO legs
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

i had HUGE GAS PROBLEMS W/ MY SON...TURNS OUT RADICALLY CHANGING MY DIET CUT IT TO ABOUT ZERO SCREAMING, KICKING, red faced pushing, etc. i ended up cutting all onions, garlic, fatty, fried foods. i was eating boiled potatoes, corn and meat--and that was it, but it worked. and i lost weight, too. you'd be surprised how many foods have powdered garlic or onions in it. the other day i had a pb and j sandwhich and some plain perogoes and my newborn little girl screamed for about 3 hours...........im back on my "breastmilk diet" again and have had no further problems. i know some say diet has nothing to do w/ it, but for my kids, im convinced my diet has EVERYTHING to do with it. i happen to be a bit chubby and love food, so this also helps to remind me (unwillingly!) that food is for fuel and not for fun
    but nothings worse than an unhappy baby in pain, when u feel its ur fault for HAVING
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

To Have An Oreo, Or A Blob Of Pb!
    Mylicon Never Worked For Me And I Felt Like I Was Pumping My Baby Full Of A Chemical
    Best Wishes To You!
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

My son was very colicky and had lots and lots of gas. I used to give him grip water. which seemed to help. i also use it for my daughter who is also very gassy. Good luck.

Gripe water or I've heard very good things about Colic Calm (you can only buy it online, I think). Like pp said, bicycling can help, and so does gently massaging the lower abdominal area on a counter clockwise motion. My DS was (still kinda is) very gassy, to the point where if he were sleeping,he would wake himself up when he farted. I've seen him do it, and it was funny.

At around 3-4 weeks on average a baby starts the whole grunting and straining to pass gas thing. It is a normal process of learning how to expel gas, for the most part. Read the gastro colic reflex here:http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41

my dd is very gassy too. mylicon didn't work, but grip water did for a while, then i cut out milk and saw a difference in her crying. i agree with pp about your diet. good luck

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in