Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby only goes to sleep with breast

Default baby only goes to sleep with breast

I am planning to do the Breast Cancer 3Day walk in Oct. So I would be gone for 2 nights. My dd is 12mths and will only go to sleep breast feeding. Does anyone have any clever ideas for getting her to fall a sleep for dh? Also she wakes once during the night I always nurse her back to sleep. Is there any way to get her to go back to sleep without nursing? Or should I just forget the walk for this year?

Default Re: baby only goes to sleep with breast

Oh! Can't we compromise? Can you take DH & DD with you? I also nurse to sleep and so far I've just taken baby and "someone" with me to help with the baby while I'm doing what's important and have baby back by bedtime. Sometimes it's my husband, but when he doesn't want to I get my little sister or one of my friends to come along! Is there no one who will go with you and hang with the baby during the day and allow you two to reconnect in the evening?

Regarding the middle of the night: Do you use a pacifier with her at all? My daughter rarely uses a pacifier, but it has become a sleep aid and it is not all the time either. In the middle of the night I give her a pacifier. I am sure that at 12 months old, she is not hungry in the middle of the night. I stopped night feeding at three and 1/2 months old and went with the pacifier. Also, try nursing before bed, but don't let her go to sleep, just get sleepy and then put her to bed. I began with putting the pacifier in her mouth and playing a musical toy. Usually I have to play the toy twice and she is out. She does cry and in the beginning she may cry alot, but remember she is tired and will go to sleep. I just kept checking on her and would let her know I was there, she eventually learned to sleep on her own. Good luck.

I had the same situation with my daughter (now 21months) when she was 9 months old I had to leave 4 days overnight. I slightly looked forward to it but it was so hard to leave her. She did well when I left. My mother took care of her and she nuzzled with my mom to bed and my mom gave her bottles of my breast milk. I left t-shirts and blankets that I slept in (and not washed) with her so she could be reminded of my smell. If fact two days before my trip ended my mother called and said she was running out of milk. I had pumped so much milk while I was gone (the hotel had a freezer) I had planned on using it when I came home, but I took the frozen bags of milk packed (really well) them in a insulated container and mailed them overnight to my mom. She said when she received them they were cold and some were still frozen!!! That is my super breastmilk story. But anyhow Your daughter might take the bottle from others - practice now before you leave.

I use to have that problem, keep in mind that my baby is almost 7 months. She has always slept in our room, but last week I was still doing some things around the kitchen and decided to put her to sleep in her room, in her crib. She was a little whinny at first but before I knew it she was asleep. I nursed like I always did and laid her down while she was still awake. To my surprise she slept the whole night. I kept it up and a week later she still is sleeping in her own room by herself. If she falls asleep I wake her up a little so she knows she is no longer at the breast and I lay her down awake. I have been consistent with the bed time. I read that if they are sleeping next to you and being nursed every time they wake they know you are willing to feed them on demand, but if you move them further away to their room they know that you are not there. She has woken up once in the middle of the night during this week and I nursed her but I guess that can be expected. I wish you luck.. but get her used to sleeping in her own bed, on her own. By the way Teresa sounds like she knows how its done. I just would steer clear of the pacifier if she is already 12 months no need to introduce her to it if you never had to before. But I am guilty of it and my 7 month old loves it.

well, there are two schools of thought. you can go the "sleep training" route, or you can continue what you are doing and it will not effect your baby in any negative way. I have two children, the first was "sleep trained" at 6-7 months becasue a doctor and several resources told me that they no longer needed nourishment in the middle of the night. Now, keep in mind that this train of thought goes with the idea that you are bottle-feeding your baby. It doesn not take into account that breastfeeding is NOT just about food, but nourishing your baby's soul as well. Sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone that all children reach at some point, some reach it early some reach it in their third year. But regardless of what you do, your baby will learn on her own in her own time, if you let her. So continue nursing to sleep and fear not! My daughter is ahppily sleeping throgh the night and she is 8.5 months old, I did not do anything special, she just started doing it. Now I do not mean to sound mean or anything, and please no one take offense if you choose the sleep training route. I just wanted it to be certain that sleep training is not needed. Check out Dr. Sears Baby Book(I think thats right, someone else can verify). And there are several others I am sure on this site that talk about letting your child learn this milestone on her own. As for going away, if your hubby cannot go with you, and this is osmething you must do, then give her a few dry runs so to speak. She doesn't expect her father to nurse her to sleep, and if given the chance, they will work out their own routine. Perhaps go away during a naptme, and let your hubby put her down with you out of the house. This will curb th urge to step in. Butyou can always be a phone call away. He can put her in a stroller at bedtime, and that will calm her and gether to sleep. My husband puts my daughter on his chest and slightly moves her up and down, bouncing her very gently and this settles her almost as quickly as nursing does. But, like I said, give your daughter some opportunities to be soothed by her daddy. But if all else fails and she is just not ready for that, you may have to reconsider going. I mean, this time in her life is so short, so small in the long scheme of things.

But just to make you feel better, i promise that your daughter, though she may fuss some, should be able to get ito a routine with her daddy. Just let her try without mommy around If she sees you or hears yo it will make it near impossible! lol Please let us know what you decide!