Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help with inverteed nipples

Default help with inverteed nipples

Hello I am VERY new to being a mom and doing these forum things =)
    So bare with me please..

I have a 2 1/2 week old new born whom I have been trying to breast feed with exclusively. I have been pumping about every hour to make up for my nipples, and feeding her by bottle. But mostly I have been nursing her from my breast.

I have one inverted nipple on my left side and one flat nipple on my right side.
    My daughter never has latched on right (when I first started breast feeding her in the hospital) and now since then I have used the nipple shields at every feeding (to make up for my nipples) she still cannot latch on right. Any suggestions..

alsooo I am trying to wean her from the shields but no luck yet and again she does not latch on correctly when she does latch on without the shield.

I have been doing the Hoffman exercises and using breast shells trying to get my nipples to stick out and stay stuck out for her to latch on.

If anyone has ANY ideas on how to get my nipples to stick out and stay stuck out I’m all ears because I have read every link online and looked in numerous breastfeeding books for ideas.

I am trying my hardest to stick with breastfeeding but it’s so hard when she won’t latch on the right way, to my actual nipple.

Please help!

Default Re: help with inverteed nipples

Congrats on sticking with bf. I was in a similar situation with my son. Before I had children my doctor said that one of my nipples was inverted and I would have trouble bfing. When I was pregnant It appeared that they were both fine and I thought I would have no problems. Boy I was wrong. My lo wouldn't latch on for close to 10 weeks. We used a nipple sheild and I had to pump as well to keep up my supply. It is so hard because you are so tired and you have to get up to pump. I didn't pump like I should have in the begining so my supply decreased and I was giving a bottle of formula each night.
    My lo finally one day latched on without my help or me trying. It was so nice to finally get away from the nipple sheild. My supply went back up and we have been bf with no formula for weeks. You can do this and you will be so happy you did when your lo latches on. They say that most all babies will latch at some point even with inverteed nipples. They learn to pull the nipple out. I think that is what happen in my case. His mouth got stronger and he did it. I have to say it is so much better to go out and not carry the sheild and worry about cleaning it. Just keep it up you are doing great.

Here is some info from Dr Newman on the subject:

Women with flat or inverted nipples cannot breastfeed. Not true! Babies do not breastfeed on nipples, they breastfeed on the breast. Though it may be easier for a baby to latch on to a breast with a prominent nipple, it is not necessary for nipples to stick out. A proper start will usually prevent problems and mothers with any shaped nipples can breastfeed perfectly adequately. In the past, a nipple shield was frequently suggested to get the baby to take the breast. This gadget should not be used, especially in the first few days! Though it may seem a solution, its use can result in poor feeding and severe weight loss, and makes it even more difficult to get the baby to take the breast. (See handout #8 Finger Feeding). If the baby does not take the breast at first, with proper help, he will often take the breast later. Breasts also change in the first few weeks, and as long as the mother maintains a good milk supply, the baby will usually latch on by 8 weeks of age no matter what, but get help and the baby may latch on before. See handout #26 When a Baby Refuses to Latch On.
    Handout #26

Hope this info helps. And good luck Mama!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

you all so far have been alot of help and encourgement thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Caylamac; February 19th, 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Sorry to hear you're having some problems. I don't have inverted nipples, but both mine are very flat. Honestly I just had to keep practicing. I had a hard time for quite some time. I stopped using the nipple shield after a couple of weeks, but it didn't get truly easy all the time until DD was about 8 weeks old. I tried literally hundreds of times in the first couple of weeks before she would take the bare breast even once. Finally, she latched on just once for like half a minute. After that, she did it occasionally, then did it about half the time, then most of the time, then ultimately worked up to all the time. It took time and patience. Don't give up!! You and your little one will both get it, just keep on trying. That's the most important thing. I know it's hard and can be so frustrating, but once you get over the hump things are very different.

I have some links I think you might be able to use. But I also think you'd be very wise to contact your local LLL leader or an IBCLC to get some real-life help. Sometimes something as simple as positioning can make all the difference, but to get that checked out, you'd need to see someone in real life.

How to get real-life help:

Find a Lactation Consultant in Your Area
    Find a La Leche League Leader or Group Near You

Information:

Nipple Shields (includes info on weaning baby off of them)
    Help! -- My Baby Won't Nurse!
    When baby refuses to latch on

HTH!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

What I have learned about using a nipple sheild properly is that you turn it all the way inside out like a sombrero hat, and then roll it over the nipple so that more of the nipple is inside of it.

I had a very similar situation and used a nipple shield for 4 weeks before my son would nurse with out the shield. I was very frustrated, and looking back working on breast feeding was the major thing I did all day those early weeks. But, it is so convenient now and it is a really rewarding experience to me now that I cherish every minute of...but it was major work in the beginning. I do believe that I never would have been successful at breastfeeding if i had not used the medula nipple shield, as he would not latch at all with out it (he had been supplemented in the hospital due to low blood sugar).