Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: in pain need help

Default in pain need help

Last night when I was nursing on the left side it felt like my daughter kept biting. I kept trying to reattach her but it felt the same. From what I could tell her latch looked pretty much the same or simular to always and she was definately sucking happily and not biting down like she has done when she is not too excited ot feed or overtired. The right side felt fine and when I nursed her in the rocker before I left for work it still hurt. I tried to examine her latch but I could not see anything she was doing wrong. It was difficult to see her tongue but sometime I think maybe it is. She kept looking at me like why to you keep interupting me I am trying to drink my yummy milk. She currently has 4 teeth 2 top and 2 bottom. the side ones are coming in at present. Has anyone had trouble when these come in? Also I am wondering if maybe it is an infection or yeast that might feel simular to a problem with teeth. I am going to go [pump now and see if that hurts too.

Default Re: in pain need help

Michael's latch is different on the left side, as his teeth make indentations on my nipple.. this only happens on my left breast.. Maybe try different positions, a pillow?

if it's yeast, you will probably get it on your right side as well.... Do you have your period or will get it soon? I always get a slightly painful sensation on my left breast during my period... Drinking lots of water wouldn't hurt either... Hope this helps!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Oh no! Sorry you're in pain.

Could be a few different things, try checking here:

Why are my nipples sore after months of pain-free nursing?

I hope it gets better soon! Definitely get things checked out if it doesn't!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I get that every time they have a new tooth coming in, they both leave indents on my nipple. After a few weeks I get used to the new tooth and it doesn't hurt anymore. I can usually tell if they're starting to teeth b/c I can feel their teeth digging in more, I think they like how the pressure feels when their gums are sore or something. Sometimes it helps if I ask them to unlatch and open their mouths wider, demonstrating what I want them to do. Sometimes they won't accommodate me.

Just nursed her again and was almost in tears in hurt so much. I did get my period yesterday so maybe that is contributing. I tried several times to get her mouth wider but I jsut could not seem to get it that way. I was even trying to hold her head like I did when she was a newborn. I really dont want to not nurse on that side because it is truly the better producer. If this does not improve she may be headed toward a rather abrupt weaning. That is not the way I would like this to end.

Hi trudiesmom,
    Ouch! In addition to the above posted trouble-shooting link, maybe this one will help, too?
    older baby biting (non-LLL resource)
    And here is something about healing sore nipples.
    Abrupt weaning can be physically and emotionally difficult for both mother and baby. You are hoping this gets resolved very soon because it sounds very uncomfortable for you. And you are worried that if you don't get some relief quickly, your only option would be to stop nursing. Please let us know if these resources are helpful or not and we will try to keep helping you through this.
    Do you have some local support, too? I'm not sure of your location, but please let us know if you need helping finding a local LLL Leader or IBCLC.
    Hang in there!