Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new mom - problems with latching

Default new mom - problems with latching

hi everyone!! i'm new to the forum and a new mom, Ruan is now 19 days old and we're still having problems with latching ...

some feeds go like a dream and then the next one he'll be tugging and screaming ...

i've been through the forums and really find all your comments so helpfull, but is it normal to still struggle every now and then, 19 days down the line????

he's doing very well, gaining weight, so he's eating enough, it's just a pain getting him latched sometimes - especially when he's slept for a long time and my breasts are full ..

Default Re: new mom - problems with latching

Latch problems are normal and hard to correct . The best advice I can give it to not let him "get away" with a bad latch, and stick it out. It will be worth it in the end!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I had a rough start and the latch was a struggle for about 6 weeks. Sometimes it was fine, at other times it was very difficult and I was sore. I found the problem started disappearing a lot faster when I cut out all artificial nipples (pacis and bottles.) The improvement overall was gradual though. I also found it was worse at night or when I was full. Sometimes I pumped off just a tiny bit, like enough to get letdown, if I got really frustrated.

Keep at it, you're doing a good job, don't give up!!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I had issues till about 8 weeks.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

thanx so much everyone, then i won't give up ...

i'm waiting for the day it just happens ...

Quote Originally Posted by Marinda View Post

he's doing very well, gaining weight, so he's eating enough, it's just a pain getting him latched sometimes - especially when he's slept for a long time and my breasts are full ..
    Sounds like bf is going well as far as your supply then.

How long is bb sleeping for, what the longest stretch of time between bf sessions? Have you tried reverse pressure softening? Make a peace sign and press the fingers around the nipple back towards the chest wall. Hold for a few seconds, then attempt latching. It moves some of the milk away from the nipple area to make latching easier for tiny mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Sounds like bf is going well as far as your supply then.

How long is bb sleeping for, what the longest stretch of time between bf sessions? Have you tried reverse pressure softening? Make a peace sign and press the fingers around the nipple back towards the chest wall. Hold for a few seconds, then attempt latching. It moves some of the milk away from the nipple area to make latching easier for tiny mouths.

during the day he eats every 2/3 hours, his last feed's at about 21:00, then he sleeps until 02:30, feeds and then wakes up about 06:30 ....

thanx i'll give the reverse pressure softening a try ...

3 months for us before everything was going smoothly! Keep it up!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

thanx SO much for the help,i tried the reverse pressure softening last night and it worked like a dream ... i was back in bed, him fed, nappy cleaned and sleeping again within 40 min's .... no fighting and fussing!!!

Excellent!