Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still nursing every 2 hours

Default Still nursing every 2 hours

Is this still normal for a 5 month old? DD will go for about 3 hours + or - during the day. Sometimes 4 hours, though rarely. At night, I put her down in her crib, then usually put her in bed with me at her first waking. From there, she wakes up every 2 hours to nurse like clockwork. I haven't had any trouble with sleep deprivation doing it this way, but now it's starting to take it's toll.

Is she waking up this often because she can sense I'm right there next to her? She can smell me? Would she sleep longer if I nursed her, then put her back in her crib? I can't help but wonder because if she goes about 3-4 hours between feedings during the day, surely it would be the same during the night, when she's not "working up an appetite" because she's just sleeping.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Still nursing every 2 hours

My 5 mo old son wakes way more frequently than that, and my dd never slept longer than 2 hours before she was nightweaned. Have you tried feeding more during the day? Like keeping her feedings at every 2 hours?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    My 5 mo old son wakes way more frequently than that, and my dd never slept longer than 2 hours before she was nightweaned. Have you tried feeding more during the day? Like keeping her feedings at every 2 hours?
    I haven't tried that. Are you thinking that maybe if I fed her more frequently during the day, she might be full enough to sleep longer during the night? I've just never been a "watch-the-clock" mom...always fed DD on her own time. Maybe it's gotten me into trouble now?!

I'll give that a shot today and see what happens! Thanks!

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

I still nurse my almost 9 month old every 2 hours during the day... she is so busy now she forgets to nurse but I just pick her up and offer... I have fed her every 1-2 hours since birth and she always slept great at night... it sounds like she is getting more calories at night.. I would try to switch that.. feed her more during the day and see if that does anything.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

It might help putting her in her own bed/crib at night once she's nursed and fallen into a deep sleep. I nurse my 4 mo old at night and then put her in her bassinett. Once she wakes up the first time (anywhere from 3-5 a.m) I put her in bed and let her nurse whenever, she seems to nurse more frequently when she's near me, often almost seems like for comfort and not really for food because she senses I'm there.

my LO is 7.5 mo and still wakes up every 2-3 hours at night...I doubt he is hungry because I feed him every 1-2 hours during the day. Im thinking its habitual...maybe its a "bad routine" for him waking up so many times at night but sometimes the only way he can fall back asleep is to nurse...I really hope it gets better because I cant imagine not getting a good nights rest for another year!!!!

Proud mother of our beautiful little angel in heaven (19 weeks on 1/19/2007)

Proud mother of Jadon Eli born 6/26/07 (a TTTS survivor) My joy and miracle baby

[

My dd did this too. Once I put her in her crib she slept longer. She actually slept through the night from 6-9 months, then I started having problems pumping enough so I brought her back to bed so she could reverse cycle nurse.

I have exactly the same problem. Initially I did not mind the night feeding because I thought it helped keep the supply. But it gets tiring after a while.

I have been doing exactly what Shannon1976 has been doing. Crib for a while and then next me fo rthe rest of the nite. I will try putting her in the crib.

How will I know if she is nursing for calories or just comfort? If she does not get her calories at nite will she have more during the day?

Quote Originally Posted by chris&co View Post
    My dd did this too. Once I put her in her crib she slept longer.

my dd sleeps from 830pm to 7am ish! started at 3 mo when we put her in her crib!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

My DS was doing the same, round he clock - every 1-2 hours (give or take) until we night weaned at 18 mo. Now he doesn't nurse from midnight until 6 am, and nurses about every 1-2 hours during the day

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.