Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: working and losing milk

Unhappy working and losing milk

Help!
    When I first went back to work 3 weeks ago, I was getting 3.5-4oz per pumping session. My ds was 3 months old then. I bf or pumped in the morning, pumped 1-2 times a day and then bf or pumped when I got home. I work 9-10 hours typically at a high stress job. I have been slowly getting less and less (down to about 2.5 oz) then yesterday all of a sudden I only got 1 oz at a time. And ds just went on a growth spurt and has jumped up to eating 5oz at a feeding. I am still bfing at night (every 3 hours), but the last few days even have to supplement that, or else he gets franctic. Is it the stress? Is there a way to relactate - do I have to take some time off of work to get it back? My mom said she dried up with me because my older sib was sick and at the hospital alot - even though she was a stay at home mom - and the stress did it to her too. Does this run in the family?

Default Re: working and losing milk

its normal for you milk supply to change day to day...
    are you using slow flow bottles? Do they need replaced?
    Soemtimes over time they go from slow flow to faster.
    take care of your self there are bunch of things you can try.
    Try your local leader she can tell you more.
    some of the fussy ness might just be normal baby stuff, alot get fussy about that time they grow out of tiny infant stage.
    heres some links
    I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

heres one on combo feeding
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

many moms find the can breastfeed when they are together and offer bottles when they are appart and it works for them.

Welllllll.... I'm also losing hair and have been getting headaches. I've been ignoring the headaches and didn't think the hair thing meant too much till last weekend, when I noticed that my hairline went way back on the two sides of my head. I figured it was stress and maybe a vitamin B problem - so went to the doctor to get checked out. They are checking me for thyroid imbalance, vitamin deficiencies... and the best one... pituitary tumor. I just read online that can affect lactation. So I got an x-ray to see if I need a CT scan. Will let you know what happens.

Read these articles on low supply and thyroid. In particular read the hidden causes for low supply down at the bottom. http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=104