Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

I had to stop BFing because I got sick & went on prescriptions. The first few days my boobs hurt really bad, but that got better. Then a few days after that, one started leaking. Now today, it's been 12 days since I last BF'd and the other one started hurting, then leaking. Is this normal to carry on so long?

Default Re: Is this normal?

I saw that noone had responded yet to your question.

From what I have been told by two other mothers that weaned their children....you can have minimal milk production for several months after weaning. One of my BF's said more than 6 months after weaning her son she could still hand express...not leaking by any means..but it was still there!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Hi!
    So hurting and leaking... Any lumps or hard spots?

I think it may also depend on how old your baby is since after 1 year milk production kind of settles down. For example, I never get engorged since my son turned 1; before that skipping one feeding was enough for me to get really full.

A lot of factors can be at play, including how frequently you were nursing before weaning, and how gradual weaning was. But, to answer your question...

Per Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (Riordan, 2004, p. 80), "Small amounts of milk or serous fluid are commonly expressed for weeks, months, or years from women who have previously been pregnant or lactating." The amount is most often very small, however, and spontaneous flow (leaking) generally stops within 2-3 weeks. Mothers who have breastfed for a longer duration may be able to express milk for a longer time after weaning. Any stimulation, e.g. checking to see if milk is still there, frequent breast self-exams, friction from a bra , stimulation during intercourse, etc., can cause further production.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/galactorrhea.html

Here's another helpful resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_mom.html