Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: screaming at feedings

Default screaming at feedings

my 11 wk old son is now screaming at feeding and i even have to trick him to eat having him suck on the pacifier and then doing a quick change once realizes whats going on he starts the screaming again.. he has been sleeping more and he has never taken to the breast milk in a bottle for me to try. the only time i can really get him to eat is when he is still half asleep which is starting to be more and more which is starting to get scary... he still has plenty of wet diapers and 1-2 poopy diapers ... any help or suggestions??? please help getting very frustrated b/c he is acting very hungry?

Default Re: screaming at feedings

What has his weight gain been like?

Screaming/crying while nursing is somewhat common... There's great info on all the reasons that may cause it, including tips to deal with it here:
    My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?

Let us know if you have further questions or if that article doesn't help.

Good luck!

It's possible that he is ill or is coming down with an illness. Does he seem to be in any pain? Does he have a fever?

Any changes in your routine? Any major changes in the home? Have you changed cologne or deoderant?

My ds did the same thing. It lasted a couple of weeks until I figured out that he could see futher - he was distracted. I took him to a dimmly lit room quiet room where he had nothing to look at and it improved. He still has his days that everything is more interesting than me... It is a phase I think.

went to ped and was told it was reflux.. got the meds but baby still isn't eating not sure what to do .. won't nurse and never has taken a bottle any suggestions

If your baby won't nurse then read this kellymom article for solutions:
    Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse!

Let us know how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by andrea757
    went to ped and was told it was reflux.. got the meds but baby still isn't eating not sure what to do .. won't nurse and never has taken a bottle any suggestions

what meds did you get?? luke is on axid for reflux and it took about 10 days to work-it has to get into their system. are you holding baby upright for 30 mi after eating??

It took a good 3-4 weeks for ds' reflux meds to kick in. He was eating frequently until then. Once it kicked in, he was an eating machine and he was consuming more milk at each nursing session. He would go 3-4 hours without needing to nurse and was sleeping well through the night.
    When we were out of town I was not as good about giving him his meds b/c I was soooooo busy with the wedding I was in. Then we ran out the samples and I could not find his written rx. Now we are back on track.
    Give it some time, it will start working.

Our cameron is on zantac .6ml every 12 hrs i still can't get him to eat unless he's asleep .. any help on that front???? never has taken a bottle

Zantac never really worked for Michael. It was almost like it was not strong enough. He never spit up per say, he would burp up milk and then swallow it. The GI switched him over to Prevacid (which is one level higher in reflux medicine). He has been doing MUCH better. Maybe your lo needs a stronger medication. Aslo, do you keep your lo elevated for atleast 20-30 min after feedings?