Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gagging on solids at 9.5 months?

Default Gagging on solids at 9.5 months?

My daughter is almost 10 months old and is still exclusively getting BM (via a bottle). We were never able to get her to latch and her food issues continue -- she gags and throws up EVERY time we offer her solids. I feel bad trying to give her solids (maybe she's just not ready?) but feel bad if I don't try... Anyone else have issues with gagging/throwing up and solids? Any recommendations?

On a side note, we are taking her to a speech therapist to help her "learn" how to use her tongue -- the docs thought she was tongue tied but it turns out there's a little bit of tongue unattached. She still has problems getting BM & any consistancy of solids to the back of her throat. We believe this explains why breastfeeding never worked for us (almost 10 months and still pumping...). Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. Any recommendations for foods that might go down more easily? We've tried applesauce, avacado, bananas, brown rice cereal to no avail...

Default Re: Gagging on solids at 9.5 months?

Are you giving your LO pureed foods or chunks of solids? My LO just turned 9 months and gags on chunks of food. I've decided to try every couple of days and offer foods that are really soft (bananas and egg yolk mostly). Sometimes I think he is doing ok (actually swallow a peice or two), but then he will gag and throw up. He does fine with purees, so I'm not sure my situation is the same as yours.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

nursing is great... if shes having troubles it just might take her longer to learn to eat.
    somebody a while back was taking thier child to a feeding clinic.
    And shared about it

I think this is the link she shared
    http://www.pediatricfeeding.org/

maybe you can give them a call and see if they are willing to help over the phone.

thank you for responding, thus far isabella hasnt been able to swallow any solids successfully. thanks for the info on the feeding clinic, we'll give it a try.

We probably don't have the same issue but my son, 6mo, has just started solids. He does the same thing. It could be oatmeal, bits of pasta, or beans -anything and when he's about to swallow it he'll start gagging a little bit. He doesn't throw it up though. I just assumed that it was because food must feel weird at first...Why don't you try waiting? Some mamas don't start solids until 12mo or later
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

My twins gagged on anything more solid than 2nd foods until they were about 15 mos old. Some kids are just more sensitive to textures.

In your case, though, because of the feeding issue, maybe it'd be worth it to get it checked out further. Can't hurt, that's for sure. If nothing else, you'd be reassured that everything is on track.