Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! My milk is almost gone!

Default Help! My milk is almost gone!

I came down with the flu and high fever last tuesday. Although I drank plenty and tried to nurse often I still lost my supply. My son is 9 months old and needs at least 3-3 1/2 oz. every 3-4 hours. I started fenugreek again, mothers tea, drinking lots of water, and now started nursing tincture? My son is now not interested in nursing cuz he is now getting the fever. I ran out of my back up of milk supply and can only pump out 1 oz every 2 hours. Help! I tried introducing him to formula today, but he refused. I am at my wits end......I don't want him to get dehydrated. He will eat find but won't nurse. poss. teething on top of everything else. I know my supply is not enough for him what do I do? PLEASE HELP ME!

Default Re: Help! My milk is almost gone!

Remember that what you pump may not reflect your milk supply. You are used to the baby. However, with baby not nursing, you have to pump, so we have to get baby boy feeling better, fast! Are you giving Tylenol to help pep baby up? Are you doing saline nasal spray/suctioning to make nursing easier? Are you using a humidifier to help keep nassal passageways clear?

It usually takes as long to resolve a nursing problem as it took to create it. How long were you sick? If this is just a matter of days, your milk will come back very quickly.

If baby doesn't feel up to nursing, he doesn't need formula. Offer water in a sippy cup and offer the breast as much as you can. Signs of dehydration are sunken soft spot, dry mouth and eyes. My understanding is that as long as he has moist membranes, he is okay. If he truly won't nurse, pump frequently, but your milk will come back as he feels more like nursing. I'm sorry that you and your baby have been sick! That is never fun.

After the flu, my supply dropped really low aswell. But by 9 months your milk supply should be established enough to bounce back when you are well again. Don't forget to take care of yourself aswell as your son. Eat small healthy meals frequently throughout the day. Get as much rest as you can to allow your body to heal.

My son did get dehydrated, but that was due to lack of appetite. We made sure that what he was eating was very nutritious. We mixed breastmilk with avocado, breastmilk with oatmeal, etc. It was tough, but we had to distract him into eating. We sat outside with a bubble machine and spoon fed him while he watched the bubbles.

Don't forget that stress can inhibit your milk production. Trust your body and your child.

Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thank you so much for the support. I understand that what I pump usually doesn't reflect what my baby actually nurses, BUT since he is refusing to nurse I can only give him what I get out of pumping. I even went back to the breastfeeding store and rented a hospital grade pump. I am trying and tyring to give him formula, but he refuses. He will eat his meals and drink water though. I am trying not to get stressed out, but I am scared and it's hard to not look down when your pumping and not panic when only drops come out and a total of 1 oz total from both breast is all I get to feed my bb. I will try the saline drops to help his little nose open up. I just don't know if he won't nurse because he can't breathe or if he got so fustrated over the last few days that he is giving up on trying to suck the milk out? I was sick Tuesday-Friday with fever now I just have the cough....I am hoping that means my milk should come back tomorrow? So fustrating cuz it took so long and hard to build my milk up and what little I stored (by staying up late to pump when he was sleeping) is now all gone......I hope it doesn't take much longer...but thank you again for support.

how are things today?
    any beter?
    hows your son fealing?