Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: relactation

Default relactation

Hi. My son is three weeks old now. I stopped breastfeeding nine days ago because of pain and frustration. I so badly want to try again. Is it too late? My husband is dead set against it and thinks we should stick to the formula since my son seemed to be confused by both (my husband thinks). I feel so sad that I won't be doing it anymore. Is it possible to even just do a couple of feedings a day? Would my milk supply come back for that?

Default Re: relactation

Hi! I'm going to move your question to our relactation forum.

Yes, it's absolutely possible to relactate. 3 weeks is still very early.
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

It is not at all too late. In fact, your hormone levels are still very high for 6-8weeks after birth. So, really, your body is still primed and ready to make milk!!! (I relactated after 4 months. Other moms induce relactation without ever having a baby. It is never "too late.")

Why is your husband against it? Have you shared your heart with him? Is it hard for him to see you struggle with making bfing work? Is he wanting to feed the baby? Find out why so that you can address his concerns. Show him the literature about how many benefits bfing gives babies that formula does not.

Tell us more about your situation. Are you at home right now or working? Why did you start formula in the first place? Was it because the baby was having trouble? Or another reason?

If you want to relactate, you need to give your breasts lots of stimulation. Nurse the baby as often as he will nurse. Only offer formula when he needs it (like if he gets fussy at the breast). Take him to bed with you and nurse as often as he will at night, too. If he will not nurse (though a lot of three week olds will nurse all the time if given the chance!) then you will need to get a hospital grade pump (NOT a pump-in-style). Pump, whether you get milk or not, for around 20 minutes every 2-3 hours (even at night). Make sure you pump for at least 5 minutes or more after you see the last drop to tell your body to make more!
    Last edited by relactatingmomforthelord; February 19th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.

Hi Allibean!
    I was in the same situation as you! I quit nursing after one week because my nipples were SO sore and my son was VERY hungry and upset because my milk had not come in yet. My husband was relieved because he could not bare to watch my toes curl every time our son latched on. I tried to be okay with the formula and accept it but just couldn't. When my son was 4 weeks old I decided to pack him up and take him to a lactation consultant. All along I was so worried about my son's latch because my nipples were sore, I assumed this was the problem. I didn't realize that my milk had NEVER come in! She showed me how to use a SNS and immediately I saw that his latch was FINE! He just wasn't getting anything before and so he was desperatelyl sucking/biting away trying to get something when there was nothing there! The lactation consultant waas very supportive. You need this kind of support if you are going to do this!

You also need your husbands support. After a few weeks of washing bottles, boiling water, etc.. I had a bit of a edge on my husband because he was definitely sick of all the work that formula feeding entails! I explained to him that I was not okay with formula feeding (I'm pretty sure I would have ended up with PPD if I hadn't at least tried again). I felt that my son was trying so hard to make breastfeeding work and that I gave up on him and didn't give us a chance. Now that my nipples were healed, my body was healed, and some of those raging hormones had calmed down I felt that I had it in me to give breastfeeding everything that I could. And I asked him to PLEASE be supportive because breastfeeding is best for our baby AND truly it's not up to him. It's my body and my decision but I would really appreciate his support in the process. After he understood my reasons he was more than supportive and continues to be!

Although we're not back to breastmilk entirely yet, I do have a lot of hope! We've been at this for two weeks and I've went from being able to pump only drops after nursing to being able to pump 1 oz after nursing on each side for 15 minutes!

Will your little one latch on still?

These are the things that my lactation consultant recommended:

1. Fenugreek herb capsules - 3 capsules, 3x per day
    2. Brewers yeast - 3 tablets, 3x per day
    3. Blessed Thistle - 3 capsules, 3x per day
    4. Acidopholis (so you don't end up with a yeast problem) - 1 pill, 2x per day
    5. Feed for 15 minutes on each side, every 2-3 hours during the day (3-4 at night) - then top up with formula (you need this stimulation to produce milk).
    6. After feeding - double electric pump with a hospital grade pump for 15 minutes
    7. Eat 1 bowl of oatmeal each day
    8. Consinder getting a nursing supplmenet device so that baby doesn't have to take a bottle - and you get stimulated while he/she is being fed.
    9. Make sure you stay hydrated!!
    10. Skin on skin as much as possible

This is all that I can think of right now, and my little one just woke up so I have to go. But GOOD luck! It CAN be done! You have to be very persistant/dedicated and POSITIVE!!!

Angie

Thanks for all the advice! I shared all the information with my husband and some other info but he still thinks that it would be too confusing for him. I understand where he is coming from but don't agree. At this point, I am going to make the decision based on what is best for the baby and me. I know he'll come around once he sees it working.

Yeah, I think it is sometimes hard for the dads to see at first. They are supportive if all is going well most of the time, but they see formula as a quick and easy fix. So, I admire you for trying anyway and hopefully your husband will soon see how important this is to you and be able to support you in this. Keep us posted!

You go, mama! Go with your instincts and you can do anything you put your mind to.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.