Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avocado? Not so much . . .

Default Avocado? Not so much . . .

DD has been on solids since almost 6 months. She's doing very well. In fact, I've been moving away from baby jar food to soft real food, bananas, puffs, green beans, etc. Well today I decided to try the avocado mixed with bm. She made the weirdest face and it cracked me up. I kept trying to feed it to her and she started to gag and dry heave. I felt awful! I know avocado has a lot of benefits and given that she is several pounds under weight I thought it would be good to add to her diet. I don't want to feed it to her if it makes her sick. Anyone else have this same experience? Was there a better way to prepare it? Could she have fallen into the sweet trap because of the jar food? It seems even jarred veggies are sweet. TIA.

Default Re: Avocado? Not so much . . .

DD hated avocados too. I didn't mind because it meant more for me!

Have you tried giving it to her as a finger food? The fun of squishing them might persuade her that they taste good too.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Mine did too at about six or seven months old. I think it was a texture thing, too pasty and thick. I mixed it with applesauce (all natural, not baby) and he gobbled it down. I think I tried watering it down some if I fed it to him by itself and I think that helped as well. He couldn't move it to the back of the mouth easily, kinda like peanut butter, kwim?

Now that he's older, he likes it by itself or mixed.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

My DS HATED avocado the first few times, but now it's one of his favourite foods. I kept trying it again periodically, and he finally decided he liked it, especially when it's cut into little pieces that he can feed himself. However, it also mashes up great with banana, which you might want to try.

Mine is 19 months old and still won't eat avocado. I know how good it is for her but she will not touch it! I still keep trying though because they change what they like/don't like so often.
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

I'm so glad for your responses. I will try mixed with bananas or applesauce and see how it goes. Otherwise we will take a break from it. The image of her gagging is just awful. I never want to do that again.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry your LO doesn't like avocado. I thought for sure DD wouldn't care for it. She had only had bananas before we tried the avocado, and she will take avocado over bananas any day. I get the "bitter beer" face when she eats bananas. Not so with avocado. I don't mix bm in with the avocado, though, and she's never had jarred anything (we're JUST starting on solids and so far, I've made everything at home).

I'm definitely no expert (far from it) but I would just suggest to keep trying it over the course of several days/weeks...maybe skip a day or two and try again. They say it takes 10-15 tries before a baby will truly have a taste/distaste for something. I keep giving her bananas here-and-there to see if she'll "grow into them."

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

I've been finding around here that the avocados are hit or miss lately. Some of them appear ripe, and are ripe when you cut them but have a nasty bitter taste to them! It's gotten a little better in the past month, but for a while we were tossing a lot of avocados! And those things are expensive!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

My LO does the same gagging thing. Kinda funny though. We just keep trying it every few weeks.

I mix a bit of apple juice and BM into it. As long as it's not to thick Liliana really likes them. She tried bananas for the first time yesterday and wasn't crazy about them.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!