Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stopping her night feeding?

Default stopping her night feeding?

I have always given dd what we call the "midnight snack" at around 11:30 or 12:00 at night. She used to consistently wake up at around 4 a.m. to eat again, but the past few nights she has slept through until 7:30 or 8 the next morning! Of course I'm not sleeping because I keep my ear on the monitor to see if she is waking up! Is this normal? She's almost 3 months old, eats about every 3 hours during the day, pees a lot and poops a couple of times a day.

Default Re: stopping her night feeding?

Sounds good to me! Try to enjoy it while it lasts, it may continue but she may also be back up tonight! She should be fine as long as her output seems to still be fine! Sleep tight!

My dd is the same 9 weeks though eats at around 10 sleeps till 6 most night. As long as output is good I am comfortable letting her sleep.

My DS started "sleeping through" (8p-4a) at 10 wks. That was almost a month ago and he's kept it up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Enjoy it don't question it! I know a lot of BF babies get up a couple times a night for as long as they have a nursing relationship BUT MANY DON'T! Every baby is different. My DS makes up for his missed feedings during the day so I'm not worried about him not getting enough or hurting my supply.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I too say try to enjoy it as it may not last. My son is sleeping through right now (even 9-10 hour stretches!), wasn't a little over a week ago, but was for a week prior to that. I have trouble sleeping through myself though. Not so much because I'm listening for him. I think I'm so used to getting up (through pregnancy too- I was like 8 times a night at the end!), my body isn't used to it. Plus, I am a stomach sleeper and as the night goes on and my breasts get more full, that position gets less comfy.

I agree with the others... enjoy it while it lasts! My DS slept through the night for two months and then started waking again. At one point he was back to every two hours - then he evened out to twice a night. He didn't stop waking until he stopped nursing which makes me think he only woke to comfort nurse, not for sustinance - which was fine with me!

Oh - and... ENJOY it when she sleeps through. Don't lay in wait for a peep; she's fine! Get your sleep while you can!

My dd "tanks up" during the day, nursing every three hours or more frequently. At night she goes from 8pm - 5am. At first I did the same thing listening to the monitor waiting for her to wake up thinking she would be starving. Now I hit the pillow as fast as I can (after the teenager gets settled in for the night ) and don't move until baby wakes in the a.m. Take it while you can - you'll hear her if she wakes up.

My DS gets up at least once every night for comfort feeding - it's really taking a toll on our health! I hope he outgrows this habit soon. I know exactly how you feel!

What is enough output? Is it always 6 wet diapers in a 24 hour period for the whole time they are breastfed?

as they get older babies learn to "hold it." so it might not be 6 wets. as long as they are growing and the pee is sort of clear things are fine.