Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: chicken

Question chicken

Hannah will be 9 months in about a week, and I have been thinking about maybe giving her some chicken to eat. But I was wondering if I really need to make it into a puree to give it to her. Would it be okay to just cut it up into teeny tiny pieces and just let her feed them to herself?

Default Re: chicken

Thomas had turkey at 9 months, and we did just what you said--cut it into small pieces and let him have at it.

does she have teeth?

I gave dd2 chicken around 9-10 months. Make sure it's not chewy - cooked well but not overcooked to stringy/chewy texture. At almost 1 year, she loves breaded chicken most - of course!

She has her two bottom teeth.
    It also just occurred to me, I cooked a whole chicke and i want to save some of it to give her tomorrow or the day after. now the chicken is already cooked, but should I heat it again before I give it to her?

I give my 8 month old grilled or boiled chicken... I cut or tear it into teenty tiny peices the size of a pea and she loves it... boiled chicken works the best because its really soft and just sort of falls apart... but you can soften any chicken by microwaving it in a little bit of water for a few seconds

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I have bought organic chicken and it was VERY expensive, so this is what I've done: I've cut it into little pieces (say 1 1/2 inches - a one meal portion for DS at the moment) and froze them separately (put them nicely spaced in a ziplock bag placed on a flat surface and this way in the freezer: once they're frozen you can move the bag from the flat position but they'll stay separate, so to take them one at a time).
    To thaw it takes really really little time, even if you want to thaw 'by the book' (in the fridge and not room temperature) you can do it morning for lunch...
    And cooking: at the beginning I was boiling (like pp said) but then I thought that, as with vegetables, when you boil many "good things" go away with the water... so I started cooking in a foil parcel: it's as soft as boiled and very quick, and no water dispersion!
    As pp we tear it into tiny pieces for DS to self feed...
    well... all this just to say that my LO LOVES chicken, we can bribe him into anything for a bit of it... for my husband it's a lifesaver when I'm not there in the evening and DS is maybe tired or a little fussy!
    (by the way, DH in order to warm up the chicken, if I cooked it too early, developed this method: let the foil parcel float in a saucepan with warm water, he says it works wonders)

p.s. as you might have understood, we are avoiding the use of microwave for DS's food: if you don't have such habit, thawing, cooking and warming up in the microwave it's very quick of course!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

The first chicken DD had was one of those deli rotisserie chickens. Even now, she will open her mouth for a bite if I offer one to her (no matter what the bite is of... or even if there's no bite at all! (Sometimes I tease her w/ an empty spoon or empty fingers... bad mommy. lol)).

Anyway back to the chicken. So DD was about 9.5-10 months old and also had only two teeth, like your LO. I had a BIG hunk of breastmeat on my fork and was teasing her with it by holding it close, then taking it away when she opened for a bite. I mean, she only had two teeth, so obviously she "needed" a much smaller piece, right? Well, she disagreed with that and took a whole MOUTHFUL-sized bite during one of the teases. I watched her, but she sure enough was able to squish it enough w/ her gums to swallow it. For a minute, though, she looked like she was chewing one of those extra-large gumballs that don't quite fit into your mouth. lol.

But chicken is a great food for no teeth b/c of how soft it can get when properly cooked.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food