Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tuna?

Default tuna?

when is tuna ok?

Default Re: tuna?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

dr sears has it on his time line at 12-18 months but thats just a guideline.

http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/fit11.asp

What guidelines would you suggest for letting toddlers consume fish, especially varieties that may have mercury contamination? Would you wait until the toddler is a specific age to give tuna fish or other similar fish, or serve those fish infrequently?"

After a year of age, I recommend adding fish to your toddler’s diet. There is a lot of different fish to choose from, but you may not know which ones are safe. Two easy ones to remember are: Wild pacific salmon (not farmed) and canned light tuna (not albacore).

Dr. Jim

ds has had tuna. i think he was about 13.5 mo the first time.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I just let my LO try it for the first time about a week ago and she is a year old. I haven't let her try other fish due to mercury concerns, but my dad caught this tuna in WA and Pacific caught fish have some of the lowest mercury contents of all fish (from what I have read.)

By the way, my LO loved it!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Daniel hasn't had tuna but has had wild caught salmon and wild caught cod. From what I've read, the smaller the fish the lower the mercury content? Which is why canned tuna is recommended over fresh tuna. I will try to find my source of info for that.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

i was asking because evan had a little taste of mine from my salad. it is just that tuna from the pouch (same as canned) but he is only 9 months so i guess he'll have to wait a bit! he liked it though, but then again, there isn't much he doesn't like!