Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not laching

Default Baby not laching

Hi, I am a new 1st time mom and very frustrated with the bf right now. My baby is 2 wks old and is having difficulty laching on. The lft side seems worse for her than the rt. She opens her moth wide like she wants to lach on but then she sometimes just bobs her mouth on my nipple. Or she will lach and suck twice then come off. She starts to cry and fuss. By this point we are both soaked from the milk that just keeps spraying out and both very frustrated. I have tried to do other holding positions but she does the same thing. After about 20 mins of us struggling she seems to lach on. And she is having plenty of wet/and poopy diapers so I know she must be getting some milk. I just wish it wasn't such a struggle to get started and that we didn't both end up soaking wet. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Baby not laching

It might help to allow the excess milk to spray into a diaper or towel, then latch baby back on. Another tip is to try nursing reclined back (milk has to work against gravity then ) with baby on top, or side lying (baby can allow the excess milk to drip out of her mouth).

Here's a helpful resource:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Do you have local support, isabellesmom? Are you in touch with an IBCLC, your local LLL, or WIC peer counselor?

Default Re: Baby not laching

Thanks I have tried expressing some of the milk in a cloth, that does seem to help some. I have also started to try to nurse her more "up-hill" that seems to cause her less choking. Other times I try all this and she still just fights it. I have a local support person that is going to come over and work with us. Hopefully that will help some too. Thanks for all your great advise.