Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to night wean?

Question how to night wean?

Okay, after a few days of back stepping I believe my dd is back on track. We are now down to only night feedings which are almost every hour in the night...I can't even keep track of how many hours I get of sleep at night. How do I even go about night weaning my dd who has always co-slept with me. I've tried unlatching her when shes drowsy and then turning my chest away from her...but then she acts as though I am rejecting her and cries unconsolably until I give in to her. Any advice would be great as to how to approach this with as little temper tanturms as possible. Thanks!!

Default Re: how to night wean?

You have to decide if you're truly done. If you refuse, then give in, it sends a mixed message, and makes it harder in the end, IMO. For us, the night nursing sessions were the hardest to give up. I didn't co-sleep, though, so my options were different. I started out by not offering to feed until after a set time, which got later and later. I still heard protesting, but comforted in other ways. It worked, but it wasn't cry-free. It was hard.

I don't think there's any easy way to stop certain nursing sessions if your child isn't ready. And, I'll also say that no night nursing doesn't always equal no night waking, KWIM? My son still regularly woke up at night even after he night weaned.

Good luck with you decision!

We used the Dr. Jay Gordon technique for night weaning and had a lot of success with it. It's designed for cosleeping babies over 12 months, so if DD is old enough I'd google it and give it a try.

My son dropped the bedtime nursing session on his own and the middle of the night session I had to help him along a bit with that. He had went 1 or 2 nights without waking up for it then started waking up again. He wasn't more or less fussing, not crying so I waited it out and after about 15 minutes he soothed himself back to sleep. It took a couple of nights of doing that and we didn't nurse again in the middle of the night. He doesn't co-sleep so that helped him being in a different room and in his own bed for us.

thanks for the advice, quite frankly my baby is too hard to wean! I've tried Dr. Jay Gordan method with no success...so far I have given up on the whole weaning thing completely. I now nurse full time day and night. I am trying really hard to accept the fact that my baby is just clearly not ready and I'm going to wait a couple months and try again and pray that it works with minimal tantrums and crying. Thanks! Again. I need her to be weaned by June...as I will be going back to work and can't deal with the let downs or fear of at work...so I need to wean her completely. Any suggestions about getting there would be highly welcomed! I think what I will try to do is in the month of march (beginning sometime this week) begin to drop at the unimportant nursing during the day. Then in April begin to decrease all daytime feedings, then hopefully by the end of April and beginning of May I would like to cut out all feedings including the night. Does this sound like a realistic approach or is it not gradually enough? By May she will be around 17 months old. THANKS!!!

If you are weaning her because you are both ready cool, but don't let going back to work be the reason. I went back to work at 14 months full time. Which is in reality about 45-50 hours a week for me. I never leaked, I never pumped and my kid didn't miss a beat. He went from breastfeeding on demand to drinking a sippy cup of water all day while away from me during the day and only breast milk while together. We are at 25 months and still going and over the last year there has been a DEFINITE weaning process going on. we are down to 3-5x a day and we have at his request added some whole organic unpasteurized milk into the mix.
    Be open to the idea that weaning doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. If you and your child aren't together, she simply won't nurse. After the year point you have been nursing long enough for there to be no supply issues.
    There is enough pressure when returning to work without this extra pressure. And honestly with all the separation, weaning may not be right emotionally for either of you. You may need it to reconnect at the end of the day. I know I did. I hated being away from son at 1st. We couldn't wait to see each other. A year later I work very hard to distract him from the "hello" session when I get home. But the 1st few months I was back at work I could not have lived with out it. There is soo much intimacy in this relationship with our children. Don't put pressure on your self about weaning by a work date. You don't need the stress and take it from someone whose lived through it, it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't happen by then,

Way too lazy for formula

I would love to continue, but at my job I have to make speeches in front of a group of people. And even now, when I am away from child for a few hours, I have let downs or have an intense fear that I am going to have a let down and leak all over. I really don't want to be giving a speech and experiencing a let down (which by the way...the only way I know to stop them is by pushing on my nipples to stop the flow...and I certainly can't do that while giving a speech). If there was a way to guarantee that I wasn't going to have a let down at work I would be all for continuing the bf relationship...but I just don't know how? Thanks again for all of the advice!!

I haven't had letdowns for ages! Even when I was away for three days and two nights of no bf'ing.

How about breast pads? I used these disposible ones for ages in the beginning...

I'm thinking as your child is getting older and if you nurse less, they'll be less of a chance of embarrassing let downs.

I've heard Lily Padz are great for situations like what you described. Chances are very good that when you significantly decrease nursing by going back to work, that your leaking issues will also decrease.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi