Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cow's Milk

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Question Cow's Milk

I was wondering something: cow's milk may be introduced into baby's diet at twelve months of age. If you're still nursing your one year old, do they need the cow's milk? Do you give it to them (so long as there's no allergy) along with nursing? Does this decrease the number of nursing sessions in the day? How do you incorporate cow's milk into your one year old's diet?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: Cow's Milk

if you are still nursing your one year like a champ, then you don't have to give your LO cow's milk. there are plenty of other sources of calcium such as cheese, yogurt, OJ's...

We only gave cow's milk while dd was at daycare, as a replacement for supplementary formula and, later, pumped breastmilk. They don't have to have it if they are still nursing plenty or if they eat plenty of calcium rich foods, like cheese, yogurt, spinach, etc.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

heres a good link about cows milk and toddlers
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

from that link
    Many nursing moms are told that they must introduce cow's milk at a year. Your nursing toddler is already getting the best milk he can get - mother's milk! Breastmilk has a higher fat content than whole cow's milk (needed for baby's brain growth), and all the nutrients of human milk are significantly more bioavailable than those of cow's milk because it is species specific (not to mention all the components of mother's milk that are not present in cow's milk).

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

I haven't given it to DD yet, but she does eat cheese and some yogurt, ice cream, etc. I don't drink it (yuck!) but if she would ask for it I'd give it to her. Of course she's still nursing a lot at 21 months.

If you want to give cow's milk there is nothing wrong with it, IMO. We started giving it along with their solids in a sippy cup at 12 mo (ran out of EBM). For us it has started to replace nursings (for snacks they will ask "eat" instead of "nus (nurse)", but at 17 mo we are still nursing 4-6x in 24hrs.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

We give our 23 months old cow milk, specially when she's really wanting to nurse and it's not a good time.

She likes it fine but will rather boobie... lol She's addicted!