Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help : Think I am at a low supply

Default Help : Think I am at a low supply

I am starting to get really frustrated. Perhaps I should leave out the starting, because I'm feeling overwhelmed and want to go out and buy formula.
    My son is almost 8 weeks. He is eating about every 3 hours at night and almost every hour and a half during the day. The problem is that I have plenty of milk at night (if he sleeps for 3 hours before midnight) until 9 a.m. For the past 3 days, once it's 9 a.m. I struggle all day to keep a milk supply for him. He will suck at one nipple until he gets everything he can and then start tugging at my nipple, sliding off of it then quickly latching back on. I then switch him to the other side and within 5 minutes he starts doing the same thing to my other breast. He used to nurse for almost an hour at both breasts. Now it's maybe 20 minutes, and the first 5 on each breast seems to be when he is getting anything. A couple weeks ago that just my nipples were sore. My nipples aren't as sore, but now my breasts ache as if they keep being drained or something. Not only that, but I can tell a big difference in my breasts. It's like they are real droopy like a deflated balloon that hardly has any air left in it, which is much different when my breasts are full.... I feel like I want to pop.
    Any ideas... It's becoming a struggle to try and keep him entertained while waiting for any milk to come in. He has difficulty taking a nap when he is so hungry. I've been trying to pump to increase my supply - but I seem to be giving him everything I pump and still can't keep up.
    Please HELP!

Default Re: Help : Think I am at a low supply

I should also mention that I started my first period on Thursday and it was extremely heavy (1 pad every hour and a half to 2 hours) - or at least I think it's my period... I had an IUD inserted on Tuesday with a pap smear and had some blood, then when into very heavy bleeding on Thursday. Just thought I would add, if the info would help. It seems to be regulating to a lighter period today.

I am having the exact same problem with my dd, the only difference is she is 4 mo. tomorrow and i havee not gotten a period yet. What i do is give her a bolltle of formula a day. to give my boobs a break. When my son was younger, he was breast and formula feed ( at every feeding ). my little porker. lol He is now 17 mo. She is mainly breat feed except for that one bottle. I helps me, maybe it will help you.....good luck and keep up the great work. We will get over this hump.

How active are you these days? Sometimes, what seems like a period starting so soon after giving birth is actually postpartum bleeding starting again -- usually due to being more active than your body is prepared for. Not enough rest/too much activity can also lead to reduced milk supply. Since you have plenty at night, when you are resting, my suspicion is that you need to rest more during the day... Is that possible?

Was it a hormonal IUD? I have heard of moms having supply issues after having them inserted. One of the moms here on the board posted a lot about it. You might check her thread out.

No, I got a non hormonal IUD. I have pretty bad reactions to hormones... (headaches and flu symptoms).

Honestly, it sounds like you are doing GREAT. Your baby is eating a NORMAL amount for a breastfed baby and it's completely NORMAL for your breast NOT to feel full ever really unless you miss a feeding once your supply regulates. And based on what you are describing both in the way of feeding schedule and behavior I would say it's more likely your child is just impatient waiting for letdown than any real supply issues. Although it is possible for there to be a dip associated with some periods.
    However, the best way to gage input is output. If you are having a normal amount of wet diapers, your baby is getting enough to eat. And as far as the the impatience with the letdown, the best way to deal with is to continue to bring the baby to the breast and NOT STRESS about it.
    Your breast are never actually empty. It's just a matter of letdown. If you have your child continue to stimulate your breasts, you will have multiple letdowns. One way to get a let down to come quicker is to stimulate the other breast while your baby is eating. Some babies will instinctively do this on their own because they know it will stimulate milk production. But if your baby doesn't do that yet you can tweak and squeeze your own nipples while the baby is eating on the other side and that should help your baby get a quicker letdown. And if your baby want more, just continue to flip.
    Also, I just wanted to point out that quicker feeding are also NORMAL. The older your baby gets, the more efficient he will get at extracting milk from you. The eating for an hour as a newborn has more to do with being inexperienced than it having to do with actually eating an hours worth of food. So the quicker feeding are really a good thing. As are the softer breasts. You are just progressing normally and shouldn't worry!HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

the herb fenugreek has helped a lot of my friends with supply issues--- often in 2 to 3 days. and they have not had to take it long term. hang in there mamma!
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

I can understand how you're feeling and agree whole heatedly with DJ's MOM Sounds all of typical for a babe that age (plus at 2 months he could be entering a growth spurt In addition here's some things you may find helpful/reassuring here)

If you're worried that what he's isn't getting enough you can always check this site here to check his diaper output... if whats coming out is "enough " then whats going in is enough

keep us updated ...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

usually if out put is good then your good

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert