Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this sound right?

Default Does this sound right?

My son had his 9 month pedi checkup last week and was 19lbs 14 oz. and 29 inches long. During our visit the pedi checked the growth chart and said that DS was in between the 25 and 50th percentile on weight and the 75th percentile on height. After saying this she told asked me how often he was nursing a day in relation to how often he was given solids. DS still nurses at least 8 x a day and currently eats breakfast and dinner. The concern with his weight was that he has sorta flatlined or hasnt gained very much since his 6 month visit compared to his gain in the past months. In this time he has started crawling and holding to things to walk and is never still. I had chalked his slow down in weight gain to his burning calories moving so much but the pedi told me that I needed to introduce more solids to him and cut down on the nursing. This did not sound right to me!!! I thought that breastmilk was suppose to be the soul nutrition until 12 months at least. Am I wrong in my thinking. Also I asked her if she was using the growth chart for BF babied or formula fed babies and she informed me that there was no sugnificant difference in the two. I thought there was a difference. Any way she has me questioning everything that I am doing at this point. Can someone either get me on track or reassure me if I am doing things correctly. Thank you so much in advance as I know that this got a little lengthy.

Default Re: Does this sound right?

We had a similar experience at our 9-month checkup; my son had only gained 6 ounces (!!) since his 6-month visit, but is very active, like you said. Our pediatrician had us do some labwork to make sure he was getting what he needed nutritionally, which he was, and she said not to worry about it; he's just built like his dad, long and lean. Ironically, since that time (not quite 2 months ago), he's gained 2 lbs! They each have their own growth charts to follow!

It's very common for breastfed children to gain rapidly for the 1st 6months and then lean out once they "get moving". It's nothing to worry about. My son was gaining 14oz a week the 1st 4.5 months of his life. Than as soon as I put him in the johnny jumper, he slowed down. Between 4.5 and 9months he only gain 2lbs. he went from gaining 14ozs a week to only gaining 3.5 oz a week and he slid 25% in the charts. I wouldn't worry and your Doctor obviously doesn't know about the breastfed charts or she wouldn't have said that. Breastfed babies DO grow differently! I think your doing GREAT!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    It's very common for breastfed children to gain rapidly for the 1st 6months and then lean out once they "get moving". It's nothing to worry about. My son was gaining 14oz a week the 1st 4.5 months of his life. Than as soon as I put him in the johnny jumper, he slowed down. Between 4.5 and 9months he only gain 2lbs. he went from gaining 14ozs a week to only gaining 3.5 oz a week and he slid 25% in the charts. I wouldn't worry and your Doctor obviously doesn't know about the breastfed charts or she wouldn't have said that. Breastfed babies DO grow differently! I think your doing GREAT!

Every baby is different. I think your son is right on track! My dd just had her 12 month check up and she is a 19 lbs 8 oz. and is 27". She is in the 25th percentile and hasn't budged since she was born. Don't worry about it. As long as you are comfortable with how everything is going, that is what matters. You are doing a wonderful job!
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

I think you are totally right and on track. Don't listen to that doc- breast milk has more calories and fat than most solids! My friends doc told her the same thing because her 9 month old gained nothing from 6-9 months and was super active and wouldn't eat solids..... the doc told her to nurse only 3 times a day (she was nursing 6-8 times a day)... if she did that her dd would have starved!!
    keep us the good work and don't worry.. as long as your son is meeting milestones, having plenty of dipes he is fine!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Something I have noticed with my kids, from the get, is they tend to fatten up, then "lean out" then fatten back up, then "lean out". They're 13,11 and 20 mo and they all do just that.

Seems your DS is doing just that. No worries ... We're all built differently and babies are no different. (thankfully there's no weight chart for adults... oh wait, there is )
    Sounds like he's thriving and doing fine
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.