Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: veggie and fruit juices.....

Question veggie and fruit juices.....

i just got a nifty new juicer for my bday! (i'm sooo excited!)and i was wondering if fresh juice was thought of as badly as store bought. also, james has been boycotting veggies lately, but loved the carrot/celery juice i gave him last night, is fresh veggie juice ok to give or is it thought upon like a fruit juice?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Default Re: veggie and fruit juices.....

Well, it's better than store-bought, but it's still not as good as the whole fruit or veggie. Juice- especially fresh- has lots of healthy vitamins, and plenty of sugary carbohydrates, but unless it's pretty chunky, it rarely has any fiber. Fiber is good because it 1) slows the release of sugar into the bloodstream, and 2) draws water into the digestive system, preventing constipation.

That's not to say don't give your babe juice- just don't consider it a substitute for a fruit or a veggie. And if you have a choice, veggie juice is usually lower in sugar than fruit juice.

we juice like crazy!!!
    and G sucks down his cup of juice (every couple of days) in, like, a minute! he loves it. he'll even drink 'green' drinks! (like green leaf lettuce/lemon/apple)
    it is so nutritious, lisa. our bodies all feel so good these days.
    our fav. right now is orange/carrot and i put an apple in there, too. delish!

as far as what pp said: fiber is good and all but fresh juice allows the vitamins to be absorbed better and faster....you can get you fiber all day long with other things, as well as water
    Last edited by case; February 17th, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

My lo loves smoothies. I think the cold feels good on his gums, but he only gets it maybe 1 or 2 a week. I just believe that he needs more milk than juice. But when I do give it to him it is when he's having solids.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Veggie juice is not as bad as fruit juice because it does not have a much sugar in it as fruit juice but you still are missing all the fiber and nutrients and minerals from the meat and skin.
    Juice is Juice Lisa. The issue with fruit juice is that your child gets ALL the sugar from that amount of fruit with out all the fiber and nutrients and it's MORE sugar than they would or should normally get. Juicing yourself puts you in a unique position to KNOW exactly how much. My limited experience with juicing says that to get a cup of orange juice it take more than two oranges. Well DJ is TWO and is JUST NOW getting to the point where he can eat one whole Orange in a day. So why would I give him all the sugar from 2 to 3times what he can actually eat in a day? Fructose is best when given the way nature intended. Especially for young children. Which is in the fruit in comes in. Don't get sucked into thinking fruit juice is healthy for your baby. It's not and it sets you up for a lifetime of needing "something sweeter than water" to drink. Don't you already know that from giving juice to your older child? How is his water intake? What does he want to drink with his meals?
    Don't do it.

Way too lazy for formula

ok, ladies, you got me! i totally forgot about the sugar i just got sooo excited when he liked the little bit of carrot juice i gave him. sooo, i will save it for very infrequent treats! i, however will be drowning myself in frsh veggie juice, i love it!!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)