Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eats constantly - normal?

Default Eats constantly - normal?

My LO is 3 weeks old and I am beside myself with his eating. He eats constantly when he is awake. I am not sure if this is a growth spurt, or if it is normal. He eats every 30 to 45 minutes when he is awake. Overnight he eats every hour and gives me one and sometimes two 2 hour naps. I am exhausted and ready to give into bottle feeding. Of course, since I don't have time to pump it has to be formula. I don't want to do it, but I am getting emotionally and physically worn down.

I have a 21 month, too, and I feel like all I do is feed him and ignore her. I am really sad right now.

Default Re: Eats constantly - normal?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ing.html#spurt

nak - I'll try to get through this before DD wakes up.

Sounds like a growth spurt.....I'm right there with you at the moment. DS is going through his second one since he was born and my 17 month old is ready for him to stop! Last week he had one where all I did was feed him, feed DD and read to her and try to play games while nursing, I was lucky if I got to go to the bathroom, and I was lucky if I got to eat lunch around 3PM. That growth spurt was exhausting and lasted 3-4 days. This one he just started two nights ago, so here we go again. This boy has gained just shy of 4 pounds in one month (he's one month today!) and I think all I've done is bf these last weeks. Oh, and diapers and way too much laundry to even think about. Lucky me, here's another diaper as I type.

DH knows I'm sooooo exhausted, concealer is not doing the trick under my eyes, and told me he wouldn't be upset if I supplemented. He's so sweet, but I remember how it was with DD and it won't last forever.

Hang in there momma!!! I know you are beside yourself, but know another momma in the same boat is sending you a heartfelt !

DD hollering and DS is nursing.....I need a nap.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Your response was like a ray of sunshine. I am sorry you are going through the same thing, but I am happy to have someone who is right there with me.

I send huge support hugs your way, too.

Sounds like a growth spurt. Someone told me to expect one at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months ... so far this is exactly how it worked for my DS who is 7 1/2 weeks old. At the 6 week growth spirt, for self preservation, I pumped and my husband gave him a bottle of breastmilk a few times. This took a lot less time and it gave me some rest. Hang in there ... and good luck!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

Sorry, here's the correct link. I think it should read "almost constant eating for the first 6 weeks", then go into the 3,4,6 and 9 month spurts!

More to you. Hope your night is going better. DS is finally sleeping for almost two hours now! Yippeeee!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

(((( HUGS ))))

The first big growth spurt happens at about three weeks of age so yeah, that's probably what's going on right now. If you can get through to the six week mark (the second really big growth spurt), it should settle down some.

Do you, or are you willing to consider, co sleeping? If you can manage it, co sleeping really can make overnight feedings much easier. All you have to do is wake up enough to get your son latched on, then the two of you can drift off together. Co sleeping has been a godsend for me, especially during the first couple growth spurts when my guy was nursing every hour on the hour. There are a bunch of us who can give you tons of info on co sleeping safely if you want it.

My little one is just two months old this weekend and over this past week has just put himself onto a pretty predictable three hours schedule with no encouragement from me.

Hang in there! It will get better and easier much sooner than it feels like right now. One of the mantras I repeated over and over the first month of Chance's life was "This too shall pass."

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

Sounds like a three week growth spurt! Totally normal! Just let the baby eat on demand. These 1st weeks are crucial to the entire relationship as your baby is in the process of setting up your supply. The 1st 6-8weeks are the roughest. But please please stick with it. I know it's exhausting, but in the grand scheme of his life, it's a such a short period of time. Can you have your toddler help you? By going and getting things for you while you are feeding him? Can you guys read while you are nursing him?
    I know things are tough right now but this really is the best thing you can do for your baby. There is light at the end of the tunnel, it WILL get easier. We promise! And you'll never never be sorry you stuck with it!

Way too lazy for formula

Is your baby having plenty of wet and poopy diapers? Gaining weight? Growing?

Here are some articles you might find helpful and reassuring...
    Tips for juggling a newborn and a toddler
    Nursing your newborn — what to expect in the early weeks
    Frequent Nursing
    He can't be hungry. He just ate!

agree with the pp sounds like a growth spurt. Yay sounds like your LO is going to be doing some major growing. Try setting up a nursing station with snacks so you can just relax while your LO marathon nurses

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

i'm SO glad i found this forum ... my little one is 19 days old now, so at least i know what to look forward too ...

i'll have to try and stock up on some sleep ...