Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone Know the Percentages?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Arrow Anyone Know the Percentages?

I thought this would be an ideal place to see if anyone knew the numbers or where to find them on something I've been trying to find. When my ds was just born or about to be born, I read a bunch of statistical numbers (percents) on the following factors:
    how many moms before baby is born intend to bf
    try at the hospital
    then still bf into the first month
    three months
    six months
    one year
    eightteen months
    two years...
    It basically demonstrated the dwindling numbers and I'm curious as to what those numbers are. It went something like this: "Fifty out of one hundred women intend to breastfeed their babies when they're born. Of the one hundred, thirty-three go home still breastfeeding..." (This is just to paint a picture for what I'm looking for. I don't recall what the actual numbers are, thus, my thread.)

If anyone can steer me in that direction, I's appreciate it. TIA
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: Anyone Know the Percentages?

Wow, you read my mind! I have no idea, but I was going to ask this too, lol! I really curious to see what the numbers are.
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Someone posted something similar in the lactivist threads...I'll see if I can find it...I think it had the American stats for 3mo, 6mo, etc.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks!

BTW, Casey, love the pic of your daughter nursing!!! That is too precious!!!!!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/dat.../data_2004.htm

One thing I wonder about these stats is how exclusive pumpers fit in... are we included in these statistics as breastfeeding? I used to think we were a very small minority, but I'm beginning to think it's a bigger group than I originally thought... I just met another who uses the nursing mothers room where I work and there's only about 7 of us.
    Last edited by Lance's Mommy; February 16th, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Lance's Mommy View Post
    http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/dat.../data_2004.htm

One thing I wonder about these stats is how exclusive pumpers fit in... do we could in these statistics as breastfeeding? I used to think we were a very small minority, but I'm beginning to think it's a bigger group than I originally thought... I just met another who uses the nursing mothers room where I work and there's only about 7 of us.
    That's a very good point. I hope that they're included! I think that's so great that you're so dedicated.

I just looked at the chart of this by sociodemographic factors... Of the mothers receiving WIC, about 30% are still breastfeeding at 6 months, and about 15% at a year. Those who are eligible but don't receive WIC about 48% are breastfeeding at 6 months and 27% are breastfeeding at a year.

I think there is something wrong with this system.
    Last edited by Lance's Mommy; February 16th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Wow! That's incredible!