Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bf in public

Question bf in public

okay. i was ready to get out of the house.... mustered up my confidence, and went out in my very small town with LO. he had to eat as soon as we got to the mall. i believe in bf anywhere, but found myself moving to a cramped dressing room. i was so mad at myself.... its his food!!! what do you all do--- are people ever rude?????
    love to ya mammas!!
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Default Re: bf in public

Don't feel bad- you do what is comfortable for you, you'll get there!

I didn't NIP until my little guy was about 4 months old, maybe later. He was so wiggly and only wanted to nurse laying down!

from then on though I have nursed anywhere, you get to a point where you just don't notice other people, and I have had a few stares but I smile at them and look down at my healthy, happy, little guy.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

Each time you do it, it gets so much easier. I started out over 2 yrs. ago with my first dd hiding in dressing rooms, my car or even *gasp* restrooms!!....I just kept getting more and more comfortable and now I look forward to it b/c I am trying to make it be seen as the norm. Remember, it's not about your right to NIP, it's about your child's right to eat!

Here are a couple recent photos of me NIP! You can do it!

This is what my dd says to those who have a problem with it, "Kiss IT!"
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

i stil have not gotten to that point either. I want to be like the last post mom. I pray that both of us get teh confidence. it is about our lo. good luck.....Mi

Nice pics NolaMomma...I'll have DH take some next time I'm NIP. You make it look really easy (I hope I do too!!!)

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Yes, those PICS of NOLAMOM are absolutey gorgeous. Those in and of themselves makes me want to NIP. How encouraging! There's nothing more beautiful in the world!
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    Nice pics NolaMomma...I'll have DH take some next time I'm NIP. You make it look really easy (I hope I do too!!!)
    Thanks! Warning...the flash in a restaurant brings on lots of extra attention so be sure you're ready!
    Quote Originally Posted by newmamma08 View Post
    Yes, those PICS of NOLAMOM are absolutey gorgeous. Those in and of themselves makes me want to NIP. How encouraging! There's nothing more beautiful in the world!
    That right there is the reason I do it! I want to inspire other women. Trust me, I did not get here overnight. Practice is key. You will get to a point when you realize that no one is even looking anyway! It's hard to think that right now. I'll also tell you another secret of gaining confidence, a good, supportive husband! Please keep us posted as you grow on this journey!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I have never had anyone say anything negative to me. In fact, I've had Mothers with grown children come and compliment me and support me. I've had fellow Moms smile and nod.

When my son was younger, I did nurse him in comfy fitting rooms because he was easilly distracted. But now he appreciates the milk and sits still for it.

I agree with Christy, some people might stare a bit. But I try to consider maybe its been awhile since some guys got some boob action
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I have taken a reciving blanket and put a safety pin at the corners and it stays on my head so that way I can feed him in public and feel comfortable. Its not that I think its a bad thing to just pull it out but I live somewhere where their are a lot of people that could be really weird about it.

I agree with PP's - breastfeeding with confidence in public doesn't happen overnight! A lot of mom's find that even if nursing is second nature at home, in public it can become overwhelming!

I've always liked the suggestion to nurse in front of a mirror, you may not realize how much you don't see and how at peace you look. You may look just like NolaMamma and you didn't even realize it! (great pics BTW!! )
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!