Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long/How many feedings?

Default How long/How many feedings?

My daughter is 11 weeks old and eats every 3 hours (ish)...am I supposed to be trying to stretch this out? I've read some posts from this morning and there are some 4 month olds eating every 3 hours...I'm 31 and eat every 3 hours!!

(I have read Babywise and am comfortable with my daughter's routine, but it keeps mentioning extending the time between feedings and cutting back on the number of feedings)

My question is, do I have to??? She eats 6 times a day...do I need to cut back to 5? ?

(sometimes she won't display vigorous hunger cues, but she will "ALWAYS" eat a "full" meal every 3 hours)

Default Re: How long/How many feedings?

I Love that comercial on tv for slim fast... it helps control adult hunger for 3 hours...lol... anyways
    as long as the baby is having the wets and poopy diapars that she needs and is gaining then I wouldn't worry too much. If you find that she needs an extra feed when she starts sleeping all night you might have to add one in the eve or a longer feed right when you get up. My kids have all been late sleeping all night.. one was 5,one 4 and my dd just started to sleep 6 hours and she is 3.

And when the baby hits a spot where she is growing she might nurse more often. and thats normal too.
    watch your baby and if she is not having the diapars she needs to grow add a feed.
    I would not try and cut back or make her fuss because its not time to eat.
    trust your baby! you know her best.

professormom, you have it good, i say! my 7 mo old started doing 5-min feeds maybe cos he regurgitates if too full. and he feeds every 2 to 3 hours, sometimes less. so i feed him up to 10 or 11x a day incl 2 or 3 at nite. i say, just go w bb's flow. they know best.

FYI, there's actually a thread right now on this board about the major problems with the "babywise" book and philisophy:
    http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=4696

Even a very "mainstream" website like babycenter.com has info explaining that "Babywise" is dangeroulsy unhealthy for babies, especially breastfed ones:
    On Becoming Babywise: A flawed parenting philosophy?

Instead, it is very important for breastfeeding moms to follow their babies cues (such as rooting, mouthing, etc) and feed them when they are hungry.

You said it best... "I'm 31 and eat every 3 hours!!". Imagine a baby that has a stomach the size of its fist and eats food that takse at most 90 minutes to be digested... not surprisingly 3 hours is the usually the upper limit (not lower!) that a baby can go without being fed. Add to that the fact that all a baby's hydration comes from breastmilk as well and then it's clear that it's not fair to limit a baby to eat/drink every 4 hours!

Most newborns typically nurse 8 to 12 times a day (which is the recommendedation of the American Academy of Pediatrics). That works out to in my case my two month old son eating about every two hours in the day, every hour in the evening and every 5-6 hours at night. But every baby is different and that's why books like Babywise (and Baby Whisperer) are flat out wrong as they insist on one schedule for all babies.

A much better parenting book is "The Baby Book" by Dr. William Sears (You can find it in your local library I'm sure). There are lots of other books by people like him who advocate a much saner and healthier baby-led approach to feeding a baby.

The best way to determine if you are feeding your daugther enough is not what a book says the "ideal" should be... rather two very important markers need to be observed: 1) on a daily basis monitor her diapers - she should be having 5-6 wet (soaking) diapers everyday 2) her weight gain - at her doctor visits.

Here are some links that will give you more info on feeding schedules for breast-fed babies
    Does My Baby Need to Be on a Schedule?
    Hunger Cues - When do I feed baby?

I hope this helps!

Does your baby sleep longer at night? Because then she might want to eat more during the day. My baby was eating every 3 hours, but now she sleeps 9 or 10 hours at night, and so she eats every 2-3 hours during the day and eats for a longer time.

She sleeps 9-10 hours at night...and is taking a lot more in per feeding...so I guess I'll just leave it alone. The book made me think I was supposed to change something. (its funny, SHE was the one that just started sleeping all night long, it was nothing I did any different)

bb=baby, huh?

Mine started sleeping on her own at night too. I have a very easy baby. Never ever fussed when I put her to bed. On her 8 week birthday, she just started sleeping all night long.

Quote Originally Posted by professormom
    She sleeps 9-10 hours at night...and is taking a lot more in per feeding...so I guess I'll just leave it alone. The book made me think I was supposed to change something. (its funny, SHE was the one that just started sleeping all night long, it was nothing I did any differen)
    Welcome to the forums, professormom!

It sounds like you're listening to your baby's cues. You do NOT have to stretch your baby's feeds out. If your baby sleeps for nine hours, and is only allowed to eat every four hours...well, you get the picture! So, continue to listen to your baby. You can't overfeed or "spoil" your baby by nursing as frequently as your baby cues!