Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I go part-time?

Default Should I go part-time?

I'm feeling so overwelmed now that I have 2 kids and still work full-time. Now that my DD is one and getting into everything, I can't get anything done. The problem is that if I cut my hours in half, I don't get a bonus and I'll lose 75% of my pay. I so want to work in the morning and then be home in the afternoon to help with homework, sports practices, happily cook dinner. (Something I enjoy, but don't have the energy for.) Lately, I've been feeling like I give all my time and energy to my job and my family gets the leftovers. My DH is on the fence about it. I don't know what to do.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Default Re: Should I go part-time?

Gosh that's a tough one. I just posted on the parenting forum a similar question - should my DH quit his job... But I know overwhelmed is the way I feel 99% of the time - with only 1 child...

I will say the $$ won't make you happy - and going part time may be the right thing for you. But, I also know there are phases of parenting that seem more overwhelming than others - and they pass. It's really tough being a working mom!
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

Be wary about part-time really meaning full-time at part-time pay. I'm reading an interesting book called "Opting Out" by Pamela Stone, about women who quit their jobs due to family considerations. In many of the cases they tried to go part-time before quitting altogether. I don't have the answer for you, but know this: you are not alone! I know so many women who are thinking about or who have either gone part-time or quit. The work-family balance is very difficult.

Best of luck to you.

I agree with the PP. I know that if I went part time I would probably still be responsible for the same amount of work as I would if I worked full time. My days would just become twice as pressured and stressful. Also, would working for 25% of your pay really be worth it? At that point you might as well stay home and not work at all, especially if you will continue to pay for part time child care.
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

Wishful thinking I guess!
    Maybe I should meet with my boss and just see what he says.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!